Dealer service necessary?

Page 1 of 3
I have a 2005 Escape Hybrid with almost 10,000 miles on it. I called the dealer and made an appointment for its first scheduled maintenance service (excluding the tire rotation I skipped at 5000
mi). Now I see that the only items to be done at 10,000 miles are an oil change and an inspection of the high-voltage battery A/C filter. The filter is easily inspected by the owner. (It's behind a door in the cargo area--no need to fool with the high-voltage system itself.
Can I take this in the Jiffy-Lube and cancel the trek to Ford and the higher service costs without any risk to my warranty (I have the 100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper Ford warranty?
I guess the answer is "sure," but are there any issues here that I should consider? -- Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA
Any damage to any vehicle as the result of improper maintenance by someone not trained to work on that vehicle, is not covered by a warranty.
Why would you even consider letting the $8 an hour high school dropout, without any of the proper equipment, performing ANY service on your $26,000 hydride? There is a technician at you Ford dealer who was trained by Ford, at the cost of around $3,000 to the dealer, working with $6,000 worth of equipment, that knows how to properly maintain that vehicle. Even the Ford dealer will not allow his technicians, not trained to work on hybrids, work on hybrids.
mike hunt
Jim Chinnis wrote:

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:34:04 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

wanna bet lmfao they need 1 trained tech EMPLOYED if he is busy at the moment any tech can take the job
even people who work the lazy lube like you mike
hurc ast

If the dealership expects to be reimbursed by Ford for the warranty claim, they better use a hybrid trained tech. LOL
mike hunt
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Having oil changes and other maintainence performed by a company other than the dealer is fine. Ford cannot decline to honor a warranty because the service was performed by an outside vendor.
Jeff
Never said they could, but if the bozo uses an improper filter or cross threads the drain plug and the oil get too low, the damage is not covered by the warranty. Getting an oil change at a fast lure company my save you ten bucks but they will not get your vehicle caught up on all of the current TBS. Most dealership now offer fast lube, lower cost, service as well and the don't use re-refined oil.
mike hunt
Jeff wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Well correct me if i am wrong, but a TSB is NOT necessarily a recall or a free service? And some TSB's are not necessarily a do it now or it will quit service. Not that its a bad idea, but if its not a warranty issue a TSB repair could be additional money to be paid. SO, you go in for a oil change anc come out paying ????
I agree on the hybrid, that its components should be up to current. But that should be warranty. (for now anyway)
Bob

-
If the vehicle is under warranty, that is what the original poster was worrying about having a problem with, then yes the TSB is likely warratalbe. Many TSB provide for out of warranty protection as well. You get neither at the fast lube place however. I find it strange that some people are more concerned about who pays rather than whether the car is repaired properly or not.
mike hunt
BOB URZ wrote:

Re: Dealer service necessary? Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Thu, Apr 21, 2005, 10:51am From: snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com
Never said they could, but if the bozo uses an improper filter or cross threads the drain plug and the oil get too low, the damage is not covered by the warranty. Getting an oil change at a fast lure company my save you ten bucks but they will not get your vehicle caught up on all of the current TBS.
Most dealership now offer fast lube, lower cost, service as well and the don't use re-refined oil. mike hunt<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Except that fast change places don't make you wait for an hour or two to do a 15 minute job.
Eric
What part of 'Most dealerships now offer fast lube, lower cost, service as well and the don't use re-refined oil,' didn't you understand ;)
mike hunt
Eric Toline wrote:

Which part of "waiting an hour or more for a 15 minute job" was confusing to you?
Simple, you post suggests if one goes to a quick lube at a dealership it will take longer to receive service than if one goes to one not at a dealership. That statement defies logic.
mike hunt
Dave Zass wrote:

Ok, I see where the problem is.
I didn't "suggest" anything.
No? I was referring to;

Dave Zass wrote:

Good. Now where exactly did I suggest anything?
Another poster made a "statement" that quick lube joints don't make you wait an hour or more like the dealership quick lubes joints. I agree. I do tons of driving and lots of maintenance to my vehicles. If I need a oil change, and an oil change only, I can get it done at a quick lube place in 15-30 mins with no appt. From my experience, that ain't gonna happen at the dealership, "quick lube" or no "quick lube".
I've gone to my dealer twice for these "quick" oil changes. The first one took over an hour and the second one all afternoon as I decided I would take the courtesy shuttle home after watching my vehicle sit in the same place I parked it for 45 mins.
If people believe that all quick lube employees are inept, so be it. If people can get their oil changed in a reasonable time frame while waiting at the dealership, so be it (again, it's a 15 minute job...). I believe both of these assumptions to be generally false.
I'm not here to argue, I'm here for information.

Good, you can inform us when the minimum wage drop-out at the quick lube cross threads your drain plug and ruins you engine.

Wouldn't the oil light come on before the engine seizes? Giving you time to shut off the engine?

Maybe, maybe not. A lot of the time, by the time the light comes on, it's too late.
bamp
"bamp" <bampatcenturyteldotnet> wrote in message

And some people don't understand the severity of the oil light. But that's their problem. If I see the oil light come on I'll shift to neutral and shut off the engine.