Dealer service necessary?

Page 3 of 3
I can only wonder why some would find it necessary to make personal attacks on anyone who posted on this subject.
The original question asked was 'do I need to take my car to a
dealership for service or can I take it to a fast lube place, and if I do will that effect my warranty?' I don't know that anybody suggested all quick lube places are inferior are that all dealerships a first rate. We live in a world of variables. There is no question that based on any comparison the trained techs at a dealership are more likely to do a better job of servicing ones vehicle, since they have better equipment and access to TSBs for any particular brand. The question one must ask themselves, is it worth ot to take that chance to save $10 at a quick lube when it comes to the second highest investment the average person may make. Especially when, generally, one can have the same work performed at a dealerships fast lube facility for about the same amount of money.
Personally I buy a 30K and 40K vehicle every year. I will never subject them that risk for $10. Others are free to do with their money as they wish however, I could not car less. ;)
mike hunt
Jim Chinnis wrote:

Jim Chinnis wrote:

Jim Chinnis wrote:

Um.... some people have very short memories. Sound familiar?
"Why would you even consider letting the $8 an hour high school dropout, without any of the proper equipment, performing ANY service on your $26,000 hydride?"
"Never said they could, but if the bozo uses an improper filter or cross threads the drain plug and the oil get too low"
And others as well....
"As Jeff said, having oil changes and other maintenance performed by a company other than the dealer is fine, BUT Jiffy-Lube ??? NOT A CHANCE EVER!!! I wouldn't take a car I was selling to Jiffy-Lube let alone one I wanted to keep. I do all my own maintenance and repairs, but if I didn't, I would want someone with some hands on automotive experience to do the simple stuff on my car, not some kid who isn't even qualified to take your order at McDonalds."
"Don't take it to Jiffy-lube. They are barely qualified (at best) to change your oil, let alone touch your hybrid system." ( BTW, exactly what are the rigid qualifications for being certified to change oil? I'm curious.)

Sure there is. I am questioning it. I'd like you to support your claim that I can get a "better" oil change at the dealer than at a quick libe place. Over and over, you have made the assumption that quick lube employees are not capable of changing oil as well as dealer technicians.

Yeah, I need to be careful when walking around town too. A car may jump the curb and hit me. I am my highest investment in myself. Because there is a "chance" that this could happen, I should never walk outside near moving cars. And since there is a "chance" that the "$8 an hour moron" might cross thread my plug, I should never take my car to the quick lube. And there is no chance that a dealer technician could ever crossthread my plug. Ok, gotcha.

Good for you Mike. If I need a quick oil change only, and I don't have an hour or more to spare, I take my expensive car to the quick lube. I'm so rich, the $10 doesn't matter to me either. My time does.
Like I said we live in a world of variables. Not all quick lubes are bad and not not dealers are good. But I'll not take a chance, I made a point of finding a good dealership that does my all my maintenance, (on one of which all scheduled maintenance is a free service} on time, every time, and they even wash the vehicle as well all for $24.95.
mike hunt
Dave Zass wrote:

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 18:34:38 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

what this really sez is that mike is a tightwad
hurc ast

What he said is that "some" dealerships are not good. I would imagine that "some" of them employ less than desirable techs. You don't know of any dealerships like that do you Bozo?
I know there is at least one dealership in cahnahdah, and its one and only teck is a master that does it all. that's why the only need one teck. his name his hurc, and he is their ast

I had my first serivce in Febrary for my new Fiesta (04) I only paid 40 for the service, I took it to a local garage by me, there was no way in hell I was forking out 120 to Ford to service the car. I checked the site before I had the service, and it said in the FAQ that you didnt have to take it to Ford for service and it wont affect the warranity as long as you keep the receipt of what has been done.
If one were to examine the manual they will find the recommendation is for more service than that. Technically it is to be performed not on mileage alone but every 5,000 miles or six months, WOF.
mike hunt
Jim Chinnis wrote:

As I said, I have examined the manual. My post was in response to the statement about services specified at 15K and 30K miles in particular.
A "multipoint inspection" is specified for each "visit." Nothing at all is specified at 15K miles.
Yes, the 5,000 (and 10,000) mile service, in my case, should have included more than tire rotation. You are correct. It should have included tire rotation, PLUS inspection and measurement of tread wear. There is nothing beyond inspections and filter and oil replacement until the 100,000 mile service, when spark plugs and coolant are replaced.
Incidentally, my detailed receipt for my 10,000 mile service at the dealership does not report the tread depth, does not note the cracked windshield, and shows zero charge for the 10K service beyond the oil change and tire rotation. Do you think they did the multipoint inspection and checked the high-voltage AC filter for free?
Total charges:
Concern 01 Change oil and filter = 44.38 Concern 02 Rotate tires = 12.00 Concern 03 10 K service per owner manual = 0.00
The final item was entered as stated above, but corrected to "Complete."
The same technician was listed as performing all three "concerns."
My reading of the detailed receipt is that they changed the oil, swapped the tires and said the 10K service was done.
Jim
snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote in part:

-- Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA