Dealer shops

Anybody have any solid evidence that the Ford dealer is going to charge you a lot more to repair your car than an independent ? Would like to hear some opinions on this. Thanks.

Reply to
Donnie Shortpants

My experience is that it all depends on the repair. Replace a battery or a serpentine belt and the dealer with soak you almost double what an indy will. However, if it is a serious repair such as diagnosing a failure in the airbag system or an electrical short, the dealer may be the better deal. For AC repair, a good indy will, in my experience, beat the dealer by as much as $300 every time. I've experienced this three times over the last 8 years. My

94 Aerostar, my 94 Ranger and a 98 Sable all developed AC problems after warranty. In each case, the dealer wanted more than $300 more to replace the compressor and recharge the system. My local Pep Boys did the work for less and I had no problems for the remaining years I owned the vehicles. This was my experience any way. However, on transmissions and cooling system repairs, the dealer was cheaper. So, what does this all mean? Beats the hell out of me.
Reply to
Reece Talley

I have no idea what you intent is with this information, but.... a) in most places the shop is required to post their rates in plain view. Generally, I have seen higher rates at dealer shops. b) I have been to both dealer shops and independents and 1) there are dealer shops and independents who I would NEVER go back to, but, for the most part, the independents head this list 2) it can depend on whether you are having a single item fixed, or several items. One thing I have always objected to is the practice of doing a couple of jobs at the same time (like draining the oil and changing a light bulb) and being charged for 1 hour each (example) when the mechanic had to wait for the oil to drain anyway. So bing bang boom I already owe for 2 hours labor and it only took an hour to do both. 3) if you bought your car from the dealer who does the work, you are more apt to be treated fairly because they want you back the next time you buy a car. If you just walk in to some other shop you are not as important to them because everyone needs works sometime where not everyone needs to buy a new vehicle. 4) depending on the independent shop, quite often the dealer shop has the specialized tools to do certain kinds of repairs. I've had independent shops use whatever is handy, and ended up having to get other parts repaired that they damaged. 5) I avoid volume shops (Pep Boys, and NAPA kinds) for anything but the most basic repairs. I avoid shops which claim to specialize (ie those SMOG repair only type shops). 6) It makes a big difference whether you are male or female, and it makes a big difference whether you appear to know what you need. If you go in and say... 'it's making a weird sound under the hood' as opposed to "I need the rockers on the left bank checked for a loose retainer' they are less apt to say, 'hey, your universal joints need to be replaced NOW or you're going to drop your drive shaft within the next 100 miles'. 7) many dealer shops are quick to get their people certified on new systems because they have the funding to cover the extra training, where many independents are short on cash and can't spare the time required for a mechanic to be gone for a week or whatever. Often, as in other professions, the mechanic must pay for his/her own additional training, and lose income while obtaining it, which they are less likely to do.

All, in all.... there are too many variables to nail a dealer shop for higher prices. You get what you pay for.... If you just want a good shop, ask people you know where they go. If their car runs like crap... don't go there!

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 23:57:37 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Donnie Shortpants) wrote:

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike