Dear Mr. Ford (a modest proposal)

Page 2 of 6
"Daniel J. Stern" wrote in part:
: Dear Mr. Ford: : : I see you're having tough times lately. It sounds as if you realise : this is mostly because people don't want to buy the cars you've got
on : offer. That new Ford Five Hundred sedan, and its Lincoln and Mercury : rebadged versions, are total sales flops for you, which has got to be : tough to stomach.
Uh, there is NO Lincoln version of the Five Hundred on the market at this time.
No wonder it's a flop.
Sigh.
john cline ii, who notes in passing the Zephyr (is that what you were thinking?) JUST came out, and is based on the Mazda6 platform, as is the Fusion/Milan...
On Sun, 29 Jan 2006, john cline ii wrote:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. They all look pretty much alike to me.

I guess its too much trouble for them to state whether its a front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, or all wheel drive, which would make all the difference to me. I just bought a Subaru WRX about 6 months ago because not only does it have power, it can put it to the ground, even in the wet. I might even be able to drive it in the snow, too...
But no matter - the car would not be a moneymaker here in the US. The vast majority of people don't give a hang about a sports car any more. They buy SUVs. If they don't buy SUVs, then they're buying something really fuel efficient and cheap so that they can drive it most of the time, and be able to hang onto their SUVs for the things that they _need_ SUVs for, including the "status" function.
Dave Head

Falcons are RWD.
You are certainly entitled to you own opinion, but unless you are buying GM products, Ford sells more to vehicles to more buyers of its vehicles then the number of buyers buy the brand you buy. Apparently not as many buyers agree with your assessment. LOL
mike hunt

GM
That reads like a GWB quote. :o
--
John C.

Mike Hunter wrote:

My guess is that Ford probably sells 100% of the vehicles it sells to buyers of its vehicles, don't you think?

Don't know what kind of cars Dan buys but my guess is the math is pretty much the same. (Or were you trying to say something different)
LOL
Yup, LOL

That did come out a bit convoluted didn't it. ;)
The fact is Ford sells more vehicles to more buyers then there are buyers of any other brand, including the one he buys, unless he buys from GM. He is entitled to his opinion but obviously it is that of a minority since there are many buyers who disagree with his assessment of Ford vehicles."
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

Is that a long way of saying that among the U.S. based manufacturers GM with all of their brands is first in total sales while Ford with it's far fewer brands is second and the Chrysler division of Daimler is third? If so it's been that way for a long time. Of course as we all know Toyota is poised to overtake GM in worldwide sales.
You have been reading Toyotas press released I see. Worldwide, perhaps, unless GM starts to use its partners like Suzuki, in low cost production counties, to build the small cars to compete with Toyota in third world countries. In the US that is another story, Toyota is a distant third. GM and Ford sell more trucks alone than Toyota sells cars and trucks combined. The top selling vehicles in the US are not cars in any event, they are trucks from GM, Ford and Chrysler Half of the vehicles sold in the US for the past six years have been trucks and Toyotas truck are only a very small part of total truck sales. Toyota strong suit is cars, yet GM and Ford both sell more cars than Toyota but not with the same brand name on the hood. Although Toyota has the number one selling car in the US, the Camry, Chevrolet sells more cars with the same name on the hood than Toyota..
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

You honestly think that Ford's current offerings in the US market are in any way appealing? It is to laugh. I get sleepy every time I drive by a Ford dealership; I have to drive quickly to avoid dozing off. I agree 100% with Daniel's point, the stuff in Australia makes the American Fords look like kiddie cars. Even if they're not your thing, I might have some respect for Ford if they brought some of that product line over.
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

I've prefered Ford products for a variety of reasons despite their annoying habbits. Since I purchased my '97 mustang new ford has done one thing after another to drive me away. I am not the only person who feels this way. Ford is apparently going to repeat the nonsense with the only car they will be building for the US market that interests me with a price tag within the bounds of what I'll spend, the GT500. (I'd love a GT, but I'd prefer not to be poor with a car I wouldn't dare drive most of the time)
Ford appears as if they will treat the GT500 the same way as they have with their other better vehicles and rarify them such that dealers can mark up the price significantly. If this should happen, ford will automatically be crossed off the list. I will buy a vehicle worthy of the additional money, none at all, or something different entirely.
I have been buying Mustang GT convertibles, four so far, and I find the price quite reasonable compared to any of it competitors. A 300 HP Mustang GT drive home prices are $5,000 to $7,000 less than Toyotas or Chrysler convertibles with only a V6 which are powering the wrong for a sporty car ;)
mike hunt
Nate Nagel wrote:

I'll say it again, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but the fact remains no manufacture, except GM comes even close to the number of vehicle sold by Ford, none. My current daily drivers are a 2005 Mustang GT convertible and a 2006 Lincoln Zephyr. Not a day goes by, when I am using them, that somebody does not comment and ask questions about those vehicles .
mike hunt

buying
many
Fords
some
You are free to believe what ever you want and to spend you money wherever you wish but I have not had a problematic car in over 25 years, foreign or domestic. As to resale value the percentage of return on my original investment is better than when I was buying Lexus' V8s I have been spending literally thousand of dollar less ever two years to replace my domestic cars than when I was buying imports. I saved so much switching my luxury car to my domestic that I had nearly enough left over to buy my first Mustang GT convertible in 1999.
mike hunt

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 17:55:57 -0500, "Mike Hunter"

Hmmm... My Civic is still worth 84% of what I bought it for (based on trade-in value I was offered from the dealer I purchased it from a few days ago) over 2+ years. None of my Fords could hold value like that.
Yeah, I spend more for the Honda, but at least it's #1) still running #2) running great #3) able to be sold for 84% of what I initially paid for it. I've paid off the loan faster than it's lost value.
Maybe I'm wrong, but that seems like a good purchase to me. I won't buy a Ford again until they either offer a car I fall in love with, or they sell a car with proven resale value.
I want to replace this Civic before it's a cashhole, like all my Fords have been from the day they were bought.
Dave

sold
that

No they are not the same but the differences among them are minuscule. The point I was trying to make is NO manufacture foreign or domestic builds a perfect vehicle, that is why they all have a warranty. No dealer network, foreign or domestic has a lock on perfect dealerships.
I'm tired of hearing in these NG how great import brands are and how bad are the domestics. That simply is a fallacy. When I still owned my fleet service business we serviced thousands of vehicle of just about every brand you can think of every month. Guess what, they all have problems on occasion. None of the brands one can buy today stands out among the rest. The only real difference among them is style and price. No mater where one looks for statistics that is obvious. Rating brands of vehicles on a 'list' will always show one on top, and another on the bottom, but the difference among brands is statistically insignificant. To say I'm never going to by brand 'X' again because I had a bad one, is just as ridiculous as saying others should by brand 'Y' because the one I owned was great..
The best one can hope for, when purchasing any brand, is that the one they buy is not one of the less than 2% that every manufacture build that is problematic. The odd are far more likely you will get one of any brands 98% that are not problematic. Any brand one can buy today will easily go to 200K or more if given the proper preventive maintenance. In the real world a buyer should be more concerned about the drive home price, insurance cost and the cost of replacing the vehicle, among brands rather than worrying about the brand. There is no doubt that at some point your vehicle will need to be repaired if you keep it long enough, so you should look at the difference in parts prices and the shop rates as well . There is no reason to pay a premium price to buy a particular brand hoping that you will get one of the 98%, odds are you will. If you want to go by statistics, go by the most accurate statistic of them all, total sales numbers. There is a reason the Camry is the number one selling car and the F150 is the best selling vehicle. Buyers will not continue to spend their hard earned money year after year on vehicles that for them are problematic. Look on any dealers lot, foreign or domestic, and you will see vehicles from other brands, foreign or domestic, sitting on their lots that the former owners no longer wanted for some reason.
We keep hearing how GM and Ford market share is eroding but the fact is the market is growing almost every year and both GM and Ford are selling more vehicles today than at any time in their history. When GM had around 50% of the market there were only 8,000,000 vehicles sold in the US by around five manufactures.. Today the market is anywhere from seventeen million to nineteen million vehicles annually from over thirty brands and over 175 models. The fact is GM and Ford sell far more than any other brand year after year, period. More buyer must like what the have to offer than any other manufacture.
mike hunt

<snip>