Decoding VIN 4th position problem

Page 1 of 2
I have tried to decode the 4th position letter in 1FTNX21S51ED85640 against 'VIN CODE, 4TH POSITION-RESTRAINT SYSTEM FOR TRUCKS ONLY' table in https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/vin_tools/pdfs/VIN2001.pdf .
The problem is that there are two 'N' in the table. I wonder which one I am going to choose. The letter is supposed to be unique in this table. Anybody has any idea?
I also found letters 'T', 'U', 'V', 'W', 'X', 'M', 'P' exist twice. This table really confuses me.
Ummmm.... look at the top of the table.... Notice that one column is for without airbags and the next column is for with airbags???? I have no idea where any confusion would come from since all we need do is look...

Yes, I have noticed the column headers. But how can I get this info(with airbags or without airbags) before I decode the VIN(1FTNX21S51ED85640)? suppose I do not have any info of the vehicle.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Ask?
Rob
The designated SRS of 'N' will not indicate what type of SRS may, or may not be, standard on that particular vehicle, if any. 'N' means SRS is not required on that particular type of vehicle. There is a letter for each particular type of SRS, from automatic belts up to dual SRS, but none for side air bags because side air bags are not required on any vehicle in the US under currant SRS rules.
mike

If you have no info on the vehicle and you don't have the vehicle or it's owner there beside you, why would you need to decode the VIN? In cases like that, alarm bells would start to go off....
Otherwise, looking at the steering wheel pad will tell us if it has airbags or not. FWIW, OASIS reports that you haven't had the speed control recall performed yet.... tsk, tsk, tsk....

I agree with you. But I am still wondering how Ford interprets the VIN without asking for restraint data.

The code for the 5th, 6th and 7th positions is X21. This corresponds to an F250. Ford made all of these trucks with airbags. I guess you would have to know this. But the other position that the N goes into (big truck, air brakes) is really a big truck.
The VIN decoder is meant for dealers who are buying vehicles at auction for resale.
I also noticed that there is a difference between the PDF file that I saw last night and the one today. They added the postal vehicles as well as removed some of the letters under the side airbag column. There are more engines as well.
Jeff
Postal vehicles are exempted from all federal vehicle regulations. Postal vehicle do net even display a license plate.
mike

Why are you so quick to make a personal attack on anybody that tries to correct misinterpretation of what was posted? What you are referring to is RH drive vehicles that are sold to private individuals that contract to the USPS, to deliver rural mail, since the vehicles sold to the USPS are exempt and are not ever licensed. Postal delivery vehicle are made by American General corp. not Ford in any event
mike

Mike Hunter wrote:

Not exclusively by AM General. Grumman too, & probably others.
Rob
AMG builds the USPS purpose built RHD mail delivery vehicles. Grumman etc builds truck bodies on conventional 'chassis cabs,' delivery vehicles of the 'bread trucks' type
mike

Mike Hunter wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_LLV
Rob
I stand corrected, I did not know AMG was no longer the exclusive builder of that vehicle. I sold my fleet service business several years ago. We serviced USPS vehicles in six eastern states, at the time AMG was the single builder. Prior to that the USPS used Pintos. Thanks for the update
mike

Mike Hunter wrote:

Mike, you've always been upstanding here at a.a.f., I thought I might have been wrong... off to WIKI I went!
Rob

The USPS used Pintos. It make me wish that I went to work at the post office rather than medical school ;-)
Jeff
The country does need nurses, as well, you know ;)
mike