Defogging Escape front windown

I recently purchased a Ford Escape. When the weather outside is warm and humid, my front windshield fogs up. I tried using the defroster at all temperatures, but nothing works. Any suggestions? Shoudl the air coming out
be hot, cold, in between? Do any of the anti-fog sprays work long term? Thanks.
Let me re-explain. When it is warm and humid outside, mostly when it's raining, the inside windshield fogs up. (I know it's the inside because when I wipe it with a cloth it clears up. And it can't be broken because every car I've ever owned has done this.)When I turn the front windshield defroster on, the air blows fine at whatever temperature I set it at. Only the windshield doesn't clear up. The floor vents also work fine.
The questions are: What temperature setting should I set the defroster at (cold, warm, hot)? Is this problem typical of Escapes because of the way the windshield slants? Do the anti-fog products sold--such as Rain X anti- fog--work? Thanks.

The temperature setting is nearly immaterial. The issue is to make sure the A/C is on. The A/C will de-humidify the inside air which will clear the condensation almost instantly. Although most equate A/C with cool air, de-humidification is just as important and as I mentioned is independent of where you set the temperature control. Keep in mind that A/C won't function below a preset outside temperature in most vehicles. Anti-fog stuff like Rain X does work but it needs to be re-applied frequently as per the instructions.
Please bear in mind that the efficiency of the A/C to dehumidify outside incoming airflow declines dramatically with the temperature of the incoming airflow.
Below about 50F the humidity must be unusually high (Seattle) for an A/C evaporator operating at 33F (below would lead to freezing) to be helpful. And the closer the OAT is to 33F the less efficient it will be until at about 35F it will be completely non-functional.
The quickest way to overcome a fogged over windshield in ANY climatic circumstance is to turn the heat to max, turn the blower full up, and now activate the defog/demist function. Lowering a rear window slightly to allow the resulting humid atmosphere to escape will also help immensely.
Also read the thread:
"03 Camry - Air smells bad"
At:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/cars
I'm assuming you vehicle does not have AC, if it does turn OFF the recirc mode. Try shaving cream, wipe on and dry, works great.
mike hunt
FB wrote:

Is there actually a recirc mode in the Escape? I thought I read somewhere where you can't have recirculated air - i.e. you can't close the vents. I've noticed this in our new Escape - I didn't see a switch to go between recirc and open vents.
Please correct me if I'm wrong...
Thanks!
Mort

Recirc is when you are set to Max-AC. Can't be set when in defrost however; Recirc is a separate button on my Xterra.
..

You may have a leak in the heater core. Do you smell coolant when the windows are rolled up?