Detroit auto makers try some new tricks

Page 11 of 16

Can you actually prove that is generally true? I certainly know of many domestic cars that are very old and have given very good service. And I know many Japanese cars that are very old and have given very good service. But the reverse is also true (for both Japanese and Domestic vehicles). I've owned Japanese, American, German, and English cars. The worst car I ever owned was a Toyota. The second worst was a Chrysler (although to be honest, the least reliable were English, but at least they were "fun"). My family and I have had generally good luck with Ford products over my lifetime (50+ years). I can only remember one Ford that gave my Father any significant trouble, and most of the problems with that car were related to improper diagnosis of a very minor problem (if you want to know how a missing piece of insulation can generate thousands of dollars of repairs, I'll relate the story).
Ed
Add pictures here
âś–
On Sep 18, 7:53 pm, "Wickeddoll®"

Uh, Odyssey? Sienna?

Like the old "I've had this axe for 50 years. Replaced the handle twice and the axe head 3 times."

Add pictures here
âś–
On Sep 15, 6:29 pm, "Wickeddoll®"

Gosh, I drive mine right by the shop every day, dont even have to stop there. Wonder what I'm doing right?
Add pictures here
âś–
On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 23:19:49 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Every Toyota dealer I've seen has just as large a service area as the American dealers. If Toyotas never need work, what's up with that???
Add pictures here
âś–
"Ashton Crusher" , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

"Wickeddoll®" wrote:

First of all, I've never heard *anyone* say Toyotas *never* have problems.
Secondly, I only take my car to Toyota dealerships for regular maintenance. I've been burned too many times at other places.
Natalie
Add pictures here
âś–
On Sep 17, 11:02 pm, "Wickeddoll®"

You havent been reading some of the posts here, have you??? We on occasion, have quests who visit here and make claims of something like 9 million miles without any probems on their Toyotas. Guess they just cant contain such excitement on the Toyota site, and have to come over here and share their experiences.

Add pictures here
âś–
"Wickeddoll®" wrote:

You havent been reading some of the posts here, have you??? We on occasion, have quests who visit here and make claims of something like 9 million miles without any probems on their Toyotas. Guess they just cant contain such excitement on the Toyota site, and have to come over here and share their experiences.
Coach
Oh please, I've have been on this NG for many years, and I read most of the posts about cars (I don't always read the off-topic stuff), and I have yet to see any posts that say "I have never heard of a Toyota having a problem."
Ludicrous.
What we keep saying, and you refuse to acknowledge, is that when Toyotas *do* have problems, the recall/notice practices are far superior.
I'd rather hear from Toyota that something may be or is wrong with my car, than to find out the hard way, as domestic carmakers like to do. I hope they at least are more up front in the future, and don't blame the consumer when something is fubared on their cars. I think most people can forgive errors, but nobody I know likes to be called a liar or incapable of driving a vehicle properly.
You know as well as I do, that domestic car makers are well-known for citing "driver/owner error" when someone dies in their vehicles.
Natalie
Add pictures here
âś–
Wickeddoll® wrote:

That's a perfect example of proper use of a double negative. I hate it when people say you can't use double negatives.

I told part of this story in an earlier post, but back in the early 80's, when I had a Chevrolet Citation, I complained loudly to the dealer and the regional GM rep that there was a serious problem with the brakes - after I had, on 2 occasions gone thru a red light *backwards* because I made a not-even-moderately-hard stop in the rain when the yellow light caught me. The regional rep (a retired NASCAR driver) actually told me that that sort of thing only happens because people don't know how to drive. I told him that when GM starts providing high speed driving school training with the purchase of the car, I would believe that. A year later, NHTSA recalled the cars after several people were killed due to rear brakes locking up (by that time, I had figured out what the fix was and implemented it on my car).
âś–
"Bill Putney" ...

Um, thanks?

My God - bottom line over lives. Whether they care or not, they should have realized the consequences of their inaction.
Natalie
Add pictures here
âś–
Wickeddoll® wrote:

You're very welcome? :)
âś–

But that's the point. They evaluated it like insurance actuaries, and it came out that to fix it or acknowledge it was more costly than letting it go.
Just like the Ford Pinto gas tank.
Add pictures here
âś–
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" ...

Oh dear - you'll really get the Pinto fans riled up with that one.
They swear it wasn't a defect, even to this day. I'm not talking about the company, mind you - I'm talking about individuals who have posted that the car wasn't defective.
Natalie
Add pictures here
âś–

Individuals also claim that man never walked on the moon, that it was a hoax.
Individuals also claim that the earth is flat.
People are stupid. Go from there.
Add pictures here
âś–
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

It's been documented that Ford had a choice of putting a certain part in the gas tank that they knew would prevent fires/explosions in case of a rear end collision. IIRC, the cost of the part in the money of the day was around $11 per car. They did a statistical trade study and determined that they would be money ahead to save the $11 per car and let the problem happen in the statistically probable number of rear end collisions that would occur over the life of the vehicle (not sure how they figured their costs for the results of the acccidents to compare against the $11 per car). They knowingly decided to leave the part out based on that trade study.
âś–
on Thursday 20 September 2007 03:28 am, someone posing as Bill Putney took a rock and etched into the cave:

IIRC, they did the same thing some ten years earlier with the Mustang on a $25 part.
I know GM did something similar on my Avalanche. They decided it cost $50 in parts/labor to add a glove compartment light to the truck in '02. By '04, the light was gone. Hence, my $34,000 '06 does not have the $50 part.
--
www.perfectreign.com

Add pictures here
âś–
I owned three Pintos, a '71 that I still have that had 300K on the clock. A '75' and a '79 both run over 100K trouble free.
mike

Add pictures here
âś–
"Steve" ...

Hey, I'm with you on the cockroach - um PRIUS. :-) I think they're a work-in-shaky-progress, but Prince Albert (Al Gore Jr.) managed to get it to 100 mph. Of course he was high at the time...
As for the sludge, etc. You keep saying this stuff, but you offer no proof. I know Tundra has problems as well, but I would probably buy a domestic truck anyway.

OMG we AGREE.
:-)
What are your thoughts on the cops frying in Crown Vics - just curious.
Natalie
Add pictures here
âś–

If you get the chance, slide under a late model Crown Vic and look at the placement of the gas tank, then slide under a 68 Galaxy and look at that gas tank. They are so similar it's like they're using the same stamping dies except for the differences in the electric fuel pump and EVAP system on the late models...
So where were all the frying cops in the 60s and 70s?
I've worked on retired late model cop cars that had sheet metal screws run thru the fuel tank from the trunk bulkhead from the mounting of radio equipment, shotgun racks and the usual other cop car accessory stuff. This stupidity isn't going back to the state/county/city fleet mechanic that did the deed to begin with...
Add pictures here
âś–
"aarcuda69062" ...

I'll take your word for it - I don't slide under vehicles, if I can help it. :-)

Maybe it had something to do with the quality of the chassis? Weren't cars a lot sturdier back then? No alloys.

Huh?
Natalie
Add pictures here
âś–

Any particular reason?

Not necessarily. Nothing wrong with alloys and reason would dictate that crash worthiness has improved greatly with modern design techniques.

Which part of that are you "huh?"ing?
Add pictures here
âś–