Detroit auto makers try some new tricks

Page 3 of 16

You don't have this quite right, but it is close. The Henry Ford Motor Car Company went backrupt. The principal investors took possesion of the assest and hired Henry Leyland to run a new company, eventually called Cadillac. I don't think you can say that the original name of Cadillac was the Henry Ford Motor Car Company, although certainly there is a connection. I don't think Mr. Leyland ever was the principal owner of Cadillac, although he certainly was the early managing force. Henry Leyland did found Lincoln, which Henry Ford eventually purchased and then forced out Henry Leyland (and son). A lot of historians paint this as sort of a revenge play by Henry Ford.
Ed

Now you've got me thinking and I can't remember something. Wasn't Ford (1903-present) Motor Company Henry's 3d car company? Seems to me like there was a car company before Henry Ford Motor Company.
Charles of Schaumburg

You were joking, right? Walter P. reorganized Maxwell, and it was renamed Chrysler. Plymouth was introduced a few years later.
Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

Just explained in another post. Plymouth became the level of car that Maxwell had been, while Dodge, DeSoto, Chrysler, and Imperial (in that order) were upscale.
"C. E. White" ...

A close friend of mine had a car that I think was an Opel (forget the model name). Were they here in the 70/80s? If not, it may have been something else. Whatever it was, we got stranded on the road quite often.
Natalie

Yep, I know 2 people who had Opels way back when. Equally unreliable.
Cathy

Buick dealers sold German built Opels from the late 50's to the mid 70's. Two high school friends owned Opel 1900s (Mantas see http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2212916 ). They had very good luck with them. Buick dealers also sold a little sports coupe, the Opel GT. Like most cars GM has imported from overseas, they finally dropped the line. Today, Saturn is being turned into the US counterpart of Opel. The Saturn Aura and current (new) Vue are essentially rebadged Opels, but built in the US. A version of the Saturn Sky (Pontiac Solstice sister) is sold in Europe as the Opel GT. Given the recent decline of the dollar vs. the Euro, it is likely it will not be economical to directly import Opels into the US to sell as Saturns, so probably, they will continue being built in the US, or in low cost factories in other countries. It will be interesting to see how long they are based on German products.
Ed
"Ed White" <...

But didn't they have some sort of model names, other than just "Opel" or "Opel GT"?
Seems like she had a particular model, which name escapes me.
Natalie

Sure, there was the Opel Kadette
wrote in message

My first car was a 1966 1.1 Opel Kadette fastback. Ran it into the ground, at which point I bought a '69 1.9 Kadette Rallye. Outstanding car. Drove it for years without issues. The pic in this link was exactly my car: http://www.opelclub.com/html/opel_kadett.html
The late-60s/early-70s Opels were great little cars - German versions of the Datsuns and Toyotas. The Opel GT was the "baby Corvette".
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 21:56:02 -0400, "Wickeddoll"

Kadett? - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant. Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography
Wickeddoll wrote:

GM Sold the Opel Manta in the US in the 70s. Cute little cars, but not the most reliable.)
"Steve" ...

That's it! Not the Kadette or whatever the other one was.
Thanks - that was bugging me! You know, how you go nuts trying to remember things.
Natalie

Don't forget that other Opel model, the Cadillac Catera
"Edwin Pawlowski" ...

You're kidding, right?
Natalie

GM loves to play with Opel stuff. The Catera was all but a rebadged Opel. The current Saturn convertible is an Opel GT at heart. The Opel V6 powered some earlier Saturn models. I'm sure there are more out there but those come to mind off the top of my head.
Back when I was a kid my grandfather was big in to Opels. I got my feet wet working on cars helping him rebuild a couple of Manta engines. Funny the things you remember in life... I don't remember yesterday but I still remember starting the engine in that car for the first time after we rebuilt the engine in it. That was a high that I'll likely never have again.
Steve B.
"Steve B." ...

Spoken like a true car enthusiast.
:-)
Natalie

Actually, you have it backwards, the current Opel GT is a rebadged Saturn Sky / Pontiac Solstice. The V-6 powered Vues use the Opel V-6 for the first 2 or 3 years, then switched to a Honda V-6. The current Vues are back to GM engines. In the early 00's GM and Honda had an engine swapping arrangement - GM provided diesels in Europe to Honda and Honda sold V-6 drive trains to GM for use in Saturns.
One thing about the Opel GT - it should not really be called a "GT" at all, at least as this designation was originally used in Europe. GT was short for Grand Turismo, which were generally coupes, not convertibles. Of course Ford, GM, and all other US manufacturers slap letters wily nilly on cars, so I guess GT has no real meaning these days. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Turismo_%28racing%29 )
Ed

Nope, that is who made it. The Caddy dealers had to pay an additional $50,000 to sell them too. My local dealer never did and is glad he stayed away from them.
"Edwin Pawlowski" ...

You mean you have to pay extra just to SELL certain cars?
Wouldn't that make the dealer hesitate on any new concepts/prototypes? I would think that would make distribution that much tougher for the manufacturer.
Essentially, that's saying, "We don't even know if people will buy these, but we're going to charge *you* to find out."
:-P
Natalie