Detroit auto makers try some new tricks

Page 8 of 16
wrote:

Toyotas chronic problems with EVAP canisters doesn't stem from overfilling the fuel tank.
I guess you just needed your chance to offer something that you knew about your company's 120,000+ vehicle fleet.
Bonehenge (B A R R Y) wrote:

Sounds like a poor design to me, if such a simple and common practice can damage an emission component.
Steve wrote:

I agree, and it can happen on many, if not most, car brands.
B A R R Y wrote:

None that I've ever owned.
Steve wrote:

Therefore, it can't POSSIBLY be true! ;^)
<http://groups.google.com/groups/search?hl=en&q=gas+tank+charcoal+overfill&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&
B A R R Y wrote:

Never said that. Just that I don't buy cheesy cars :-p

Lookit that Steve, I guess he figures that you don't know or understand anything about evaporative emissions canisters...

What you asked was irrelevant to my situation.

She doesn't. She was instructed a few decades ago as to the problems it causes.

This area has few if any full service gas stations. Toyota EVAP failures area a common problem that have not been corrected.

I don't on either one of my Dodges, nor does my wife. On my Plymouth, it wouldn't matter except for getting a wet and highly flammable foot.
On Sep 18, 8:16 pm, "Wickeddoll"

OK, how about the engine problems the Tundras have been having?

"Wickeddoll" wrote:

OK, how about the TI@@ne problems the Tundras have been having?
Coach Rose
Show some proof that Toyota blamed the customer.
Natalie
On Sep 20, 6:26 pm, "Wickeddoll"

Guess they are following in the footsteps of GM then, arent they?

"Wickeddoll" wrote:

Guess they are following in the footsteps of GM then, arent they?
Forgive me, but WTF does that mean?
Natalie
On Sep 21, 12:47 am, "Wickeddoll"

I'll try to type slowly so every one can understand.There are those out there who used to accuse GM of blaming the consumer when something goes wrong with their vehicle. It seems they think that the consumer should suspect when something is wrong with their car and should do something about it, instead of waiting for GM to contact them about the problem. This has been suggested for the past 20 years or so.
Fast forward to 2007. It seems as if the Toyota Tundra' s are having a lot of problems with their engines.Toyotya is saying the engines are fine, the consumers are somehow doing something to cause thsese engine failures, just the same as GM used to do.

Weh, Duh! What idiot would buy a truck from an economy car manufacturer? Kind of like getting a gynecological exam from a dentist. He may be a doctor but it's a completely different speciality.
Ted
"Wickeddoll"

I'll try to type slowly so every one can understand.There are those out there who used to accuse GM of blaming the consumer when something goes wrong with their vehicle. It seems they think that the consumer should suspect when something is wrong with their car and should do something about it, instead of waiting for GM to contact them about the problem. This has been suggested for the past 20 years or so.
Fast forward to 2007. It seems as if the Toyota Tundra' s are having a lot of problems with their engines.Toyotya is saying the engines are fine, the consumers are somehow doing something to cause thsese engine failures, just the same as GM used to do.
***No need to be insulting. You could have just said that in the first place.
Natalie

I'll give you credit here. You at least admit that Toyota's and Nissan's DO have defects, while there are some here who claim they NEVER have anythng go wrong with them.
Wickeddoll wrote:

I own an american car. a '99 Grand Marquis LS.
Bought it used last year (82 thousand KM on it)
Now at 102 thousand KM, cost me a Coil On Plug and the corresponding sparkplug. I also had to have 2 bolts replaced on the passenger side flange (cat to y-pipe)
Now, I'll have to do the same to the driver's side (another 30$)
Prestone needs to be flushed, I'll be putting a bigger battery (has a 850AMP, I'll put in a bigger one and a beefier alternator for the sound system), and some winter tires, (didn't like my all-wheater Bridgestone's behavior last winter :)
that's about it...
2 Honda Civics destroyed themselves rear-ending me, I'll need to replace the rear plastic bumper cover (badly scratched and broke where it screws on the frame)
So much for Styrofoam Japanese bumpers :)
Oh, and I'll have to replace the car's lighter socket, it short-circuited hitself to death last year...
--
Don't drink water, fish have sex in it!

El Bandito wrote:

That is an example of a rock solid American car, I have worked on quite a few but it was always a starter at 100K miles or something that is a wear item. My friend has a 02(I think) grand marquis and it's a nice highway car.
Negatives? There is no legroom in the back and the thing doesn't handle for shit. It isn't supposed to though.
Brent wrote:

The last Mercury I owned ('96 Mystique), Ford had put wiring in the entire enigne compartment with the wrong insulation material (All Contours and Mystiques). The insulation literally turned to powder after a few years - you can imagine the problems that caused. They had a special program to replace the engine compartment wiring harnesses up to 100k miles. Unfortunately, the program was not created and publicized until many of those cars were past that.

The police package handles very well though for those who are interested in handling (probably a fairly small percentage of that market segment).