Detroit auto makers try some new tricks

Page 10 of 16
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" ...

I still see quite a few of them on the road, though hubby swore them off because they were just too "middle-class" for him, whatever that means. I think he just doesn't like the cliche.

Right, but the only way to rebound in that market, which is probably most of the vehicles sold, they simply *have* to think outside those lines.

We never bought into the SUV thing - hubby considered a king-cab type vehicle, but decided it was just not practical for a then-growing family of four. He still may get a truck when the kids are out of the house. (he'd go domestic for that)

Yeah - that was quite a fiasco. Wal-Mart sells the cheapest gas in this area, and if you buy it with a gift card, you get another 3 cents per gallon off of the already rock-bottom price (probably because they figure if they get you in the store to buy the card, you'll pick up something else)

I don't know that it's the moms that bought the big trucks. I seldom see women driving those. Minivans I see are almost always driven by women.

I hope they get with the program.

So, no slack at all...
:-)
Natalie
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

I'll buy that. Let's see - who buys SUV's? Hillary, Jesse, ...

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

But Chrysler still dominates it, as it has done since inventing the segment in 1994.

Horse shit. Don't equate "American" with "Cadillac." The last body-on-frame Dodge or Plymouth was built in 1959. The last body-on-frame Chrysler product was the 1967 Imperial, all the others having transitioned to unibody in '60.

Yeah. Right. That's really funny since both GM and Chrysler had a full range of front-drives nearly 10 years before toyota quit trying to sell rear-wheel-drive "economy" cars.

Excepting trucks and SUVs of course.

I am not sure what you mean by a full range of FWDs. Oldsmobile sold the Tornado, a large FWD car starting in 1966 (1966 model) and the "X Cars" starting in 1980 (1980 models). Chrysler sold the Omni and Horizons starting in 1978. The "K"cars showed up in 1980 (1981 models). Why are you leaving out Ford? The Fiesta, sold in the US starting in 1977 (1978 Model) was also FWD. The US Escort was a FWD car introduced in 1980 (1981 Model). Interestingly, Ford had plans to do a small FWD car for the US in the early 60's but Lee Iacocca killed that because he felt it would not sell in the US.
Ed
C. E. White wrote:

I left out Ford because I couldn't remember when the Esquirt came out (I don't count the Festiva, it was a pile of junk, and imported from Asia anyway). But yeah, Ford had the Escort, Taurus/Sable, and Tempo/Topaz by the mid 80s. That's a compact, a midsize, and a fullsize, or a "full range" of cars and Toyota really didn't make the jump to FWD until almost 1990.
Actually, I hate FWD in many ways (as Some-O will certainly remind me ;-) but I was challinging the statement above which claimed:
>>>When it came to changing that, to selling small, efficient, >>>front-drive vehicles, the Americans fell flat on their faces. >>>Still do.

the 90's.
Jim (Had an 85 Caravan)
jim wrote:

Yes, it was a typo. As you probably know "8" and "9" are pretty close on the keyboard. The first minivan was the '84 Plymouth Voyager/Dodge Caravan.
on Thursday 20 September 2007 06:46 am, someone posing as Steve took a rock and etched into the cave:

I've heard those vans often take on Z28s.
http://www.turbovan.net/van.html
LOL!
--
www.perfectreign.com

Let's talk profit on those, shall we?
I bet the Chrysler salesmen were drooling at the idea of what their Honda counterparts were doing for five years--selling at list plus.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

He doesn't have to, when he moves 4 Caravans for every Oddity sold.

Since 1994, but not since VW invented the minivan long before that.

Basically the VW created the minivan in 1950. They didn't call it that, of course, but the Type 2 is one of the most compact people and cargo carriers for its size at the time. There were a lot of attempts to copy it, such as the Fiat Multiplia, but none so successful. They make something called a Eurovan today, but it's a far cry from the original Microbus.
Charles of Schaumburg

Remember the VW "pickup" that was actually a flatbed with fold down sides with a Microbus nose?

Yep, the first compact pickup. Got taken out in the tarrif 'Chicken Wars' in the 1950's. VW sold only the Microbus in the US after that, but still sold the pickup and the rest of the line elsewhere.
Charles of Schaumburg
"Joe" ...

Natalie
The Falcon Club Wagon of the mid sixties offered a similar truck but with a lower tailgate because the engine was in the front. The Club wagon was larger, more powerful and not nearly as expensive as the VW
mike

Just Facts wrote:

It was 84, and VW *never* made a minivan. They made a pile of crap that came in three different but equally vile scents (microbus, vanagon, and eurovan), but not a minivan. Its amazing that for all VW has done well over the years, they have some kind of corporate mental block against building a decent van.

No, I equate "traditional American" with "Ford LTD/Fairmont/Grand Marquis". RWD, body on frame.
So now they do it with trucks. They're miserable with modern, compact, efficient cars.

Really?
Funny thing--Honda came into the market with fwd cars. The only rwd car they ever did was NSX.
Honda predated the GM small, efficient, fwd cars by eons.
And when GM came into the market with fwd, what was it with? Riviera. Huge boat of a car.

Really really.

Fine and dandy. Where did I mention "Honda" above?

Actually the Riviera wasn't the first GM front-drive, that would have been the Toronado/Eldorado. And *THOSE* were prowling the roads before Honda was even *building* cars. The Riv was moved to the FWD platform some years later. About the time Honda was developing a car with a rubber docking ring around the rear window and a motorcyle engine under the hood....