Diagnostic testers - JC Whitney or Wal-Mart?

I recently read that Walmart offers a cheap diagnostic tester. Does Sears sell one, too?

How's this for a battery tester:

How about this for a computer code reader:

It's $29.95 and the cable extension is another $20.

Where would the codes be shown on this? Is there an LCD somewhere?

Reply to
Mohair

"Mohair" wrote

It tells you right in the description...

"Tone sounds and LED flashes computer trouble code"

It goes beep-beep-beep, and the light goes blink-blink-blink. That's it. You count the beeps/blinks, and look up the code in the booklet.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster opined in news:Jk_5b.9060$kW.8571@edtnps84:

And you might as well pick up a battery while you're in there. Bet there'll be less than a year difference in lifetime.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Get a real voltmeter instead. I use a Fluke 77.

IT does NOT show codes. IT only shows a flashing light. I used a jumper wire and sit in my car and count the number of times the check engine light flashes. Do an internet search on EEC-IV and you will find out how to do this yourself without wasting $29.95 + cable extender + postage

If you want a real code readout you will have to get a much more expensive code reader, which for home use is excessive, IMO.

Reply to
Childfree Scott