dielectric grease

Should dielectric grease be applied in the new spark plug threads before installing? I did it on the boot wires both ends. Wondering will this help easy removal of the spark plugs next time?

Sam

Reply to
sams

My opinion is to use the grease on the boot end of the plug but not on the thread end. A small amount of anti-seize compound should be applied to the thread end (especially aluminum head engines).

John

Reply to
PC PODD

Reply to
Thundersnake #9 remove spam to reply

No, you dont use Dielectric grease on the threads... you only use it on the rubber wires on the boots(its to make the electricity work by not tarnishing the contacts... you use anti-seize compound on the threads so the steel spark plug does not seize in the aluminum block....rember that go to auto zone and buy two tubes, one ani-seize compound and the other dieelectric grease and study them

Reply to
jim

Dielectric grease is silicone based and thus non conductive. It prevents the spark from sneaking between the spark plug and boot and grounding out.

Reply to
endorf

Great thanks. Glad I did ask the NG. I'll get an anti-seize compound from AZ. I alredy drove 60 miles witout anything on the Splug threds, hope it doen't get welded with the aluminum block.

Sam.

Reply to
sams