Diesel engine noise

Hi, I am getting a noise from my 1997 transit engine. My best description would be a sort of squeal/whistle. It is more audible on tick over but seems to fade above 2000 or so
revs. I have noticed that if I just slightly touch and hold the clutch pedal (the sort of minimum pressure when you are waiting to change to next gear)the noise disappears. Please note there is no lack of acceleration or over rev which would suggest a slipping clutch Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks
hiya,
could be the thrust bearing.
pottsy