diesel expedition in 2008

This just shows that Ford is bunch of nimrods. I would buy a diesel expedition in a heartbeat. I would have bought it 7 years ago when I bought my 99. I would have bought it last year when I bought my

05 EB.

Why cant Ford get ahead of the pack for their SUVs and trucks ?

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

All I can say is better late than never. I now know what I'll buy when my Club Wagon is paid off: a diesel Expedition EL.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Club Wagon is paid off: a diesel Expedition EL.

What would be really cool is a diesel expedition with the new Ford hydraulic hybrid system. My 2005 EB with the 3 valve 5.4 was EPA rated 14/18 mpg. I expect the diesel expedition to be 18/24 mpg.

The gasoline hydraulic hybrid expedition tested by the EPA in 2001 was 20/25 mpg if I remember correctly. That would put the diesel hydraulic hybrid expedition at 25/34 mpg. That would be well worth the premium of $4,000 for the diesel plus another $1,000 for the hydraulic hybrid system coming on the 2008 models.

Ford has a short window that they can get this done or else Toyota will eat them alive. The word on the streets is that Toyota's hybrid system on their new full size trucks will be on their 2008 models AND getting 20 mpg on the city cycle.

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

There 1 of the 1st with independent rear suspension

You cant be 1st in everything, to expansive

Reply to
Ollie

why would you want to buy any diesel? they are terrible polluters. i'm a runner and can't stand the fumes. they give me headaches and awful coughing fits. if i had my way, diesels would be outlawed.

Reply to
beachgirl

That was true, but I'm wondering how much better they are with the new low sulphur diesel fuel.

Reply to
Ford?

"Ford?" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.telus.net:

the new ones using lsd are supposed to be very much improved on all areas from smell to polution. And Beach girl if you had a brain instead of just feelings you would know diesels are much less poluters than most gas eng. before they are cleaned up with the new lsd versions. I have no time for ditzs that go on their feelings instead of using their brains. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Care to cite some back up for this? I never seen it claimed that a diesel engine was cleaner than a gas engine (assuming same age and both well maintained). The very best European diesel are still dirtier than spark ignition cars. With low sulfur diesel fuel, catalytic converters, particle traps, etc., the newer diesels are close to being as good as a gas engine, but still not "better." And there are so many poorly maintained diesels out there they get a bad name.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

The newer diesels are very clean... EPA regs will be even tighter for the new model year using ULSD fuel.... At this point in time, the diesel appears to be the motor of the future....

The big down side of the diesel engine lies in how easy it is to modify them.... A simple programmer or chip and these things can lay down a smoke screen you can't cut with a knife.... For the most part, the issue is not with the engine... it is with the owner....

Reply to
Jim Warman

"C. E. White" wrote in news:jAZ7h.647$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

I don`t have anything handy right now but as I recall only the particulates were the real problem poluters on a diesel. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff