Different transmissions for 1989 ford crown victoria, how do i know which one i need

Can i tell by my VIN? I need to replace (or rebuild) my transmission and i need to know which transmission i should be looking for. I have no idea how to tell.

kyle775 wrote:

all pretty much the same except for most Lincoln applications. The Lincoln AOD is about 1" longer. Used AODs are a real crapshoot. If you feel the car is worth keeping, rebuild the one you have. Make sure the tranny shop replaces the failed Throttle Valve Cable grommet that caused your trans to fail.