Disable daytime running lights?

Page 1 of 2
2001 Crown Victoria. Normally not a problem, but whenever there is heavy moisture in the air or it is raining they come on by themselves when the vehicle is running and you can't turn them off. I own a security agency and
would like to be able to allow my officers the option to turn them off.
Thank you in advance.
Don Manning
Does the DRLs turn off when the emergency brake is applied, if so run a ground wire to the switch on the brake lever. This has worked with most makes for us. Darryl
says...

No, they do not turn off when the brakes is applied.
Don Manning

daytime running lights are lights that are on when the engine is on with car in gear. what you have is called courtesy lights, and if your drivers are so stupid that they do not know how to read a headlight switch to turn them off, they should not have a drivers license. read your owners manual.

Ok, yeah...you are pretty much a dumbass.
Don Manning

Have you tried to contact Ford? Their law enforcement vehicles have a provision for this. Last thing we want to do is roll up to a burglary in progress or some other illicit activity and announce that the cavalry has arrived. Without the ability to either not use them at all or selectively turn them off, I doubt anyone would buy their emergency setups.
On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 00:51:35 -0600, "2.3Sleeper"

Hey! Spikey Likes IT! 1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Are you sure that is the day time running lamps and not the auto headlamps? ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) The daytime running lamps (DRL) system operates the low beam headlamps at a reduced intensity. The DRL module (15A270) supplies pulse width modulated (PWM) voltage, approximately 75-92% of battery voltage, to the low beam headlamps when the following conditions are met:
a.. The high beam headlamps are disabled. b.. The ignition switch (11572) is in the RUN position. The DRL module remains enabled when the low beam headlamps are turned on."
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Looks to me like every time the ignition is in the run position and the head lamps are off the DRL system is on ( if equipped ). So if the lamps only come on in dark situations that would be the auto headlamps.
***************************************************************************************************************************
"Principles of Operation
Headlamp Delay System - Autolamp The autolamp system:
a.. provides light sensitive on-off control of the lamps normally controlled by the headlamp switch. b.. provides increased visibility for occupants when leaving the vehicle by keeping the lamps on for a preselected period of time after the ignition switch is turned OFF. c.. uses a preselected time lapse that can be adjusted by the vehicle operator for up to three minutes delay. The system consists of:
a.. a light-sensitive light sensor amplifier b.. a lighting control module (LCM) c.. an autolamp time delay control (part of the headlamp switch and includes an OFF position) For the autolamp system to be operational, the headlamp switch must be rotated counterclockwise from the OFF position.
In normal operation:
a.. The system will turn the exterior lamps on when the light available to the light sensor amplifier decreases below a predetermined level, such as at sunset. b.. The lamps will automatically turn off when the level of outside light exceeds a predetermined level, such as during daylight hours. The light sensor amplifier must always be exposed to outside light to function correctly. Do not place any items on the defroster grille panel which may block light to the light sensor amplifier and cause erratic operation of the system.
The autolamp time delay control (part of the headlamp switch) operates as follows:
a.. The autolamp system is functional for automatic operation when the autolamp time delay control is moved from the OFF position. b.. The autolamp time delay is controlled by rotating the headlamp switch in a counterclockwise direction (maximum three minutes). Turning on the regular headlamp switch will override the autolamps operation. Automatic operation will not be possible until the regular headlamp switch is turned counterclockwise past the OFF position."
***************************************************************************************************************************
Maybe you need to check and see how the vehicle is equipped and that the operators know how to operate before you try to make modifications.

Excuse me, headlamps turned on...... Still, same message, are you sure the vehicle is equipped and that the operators know how it works? Do you have the owners manual?
"pick one" <try again!> wrote in message

As stated in the OP, "Normally not a problem, but whenever there is heavy moisture in the air or it is raining they come on by themselves when the vehicle is running and you can't turn them off. This may be part of the auto-lamp system, but I was leaning towards malfunction.
Moisture or rain in the air and the headlights come on by themselves. This is what I am looking to solve.
Don Manning
"pick one" <try again!> wrote in message

I'll top post with ya,
Not that I don't understand your problem, but it sounds like your "malfunction" is the perfect solution for all the drivers who refuse to use their light in low visibility situations, rain, fog and what not. That is how the majority of cars on the road should work, for everyone who doesn't have enough sense to turn on their lights for safty.

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 22:36:41 -0500, "pick one" <try again!> wrote:

I have yet to see any car equipped with auto head lamps that can not be turned off. You sure you didn't have day time running? Big difference.
[...]
On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 21:30:38 -0500, "pick one" <try again!> wrote:

Well, my Pontiac TranSport has BOTH. The DRLs come on when the engine is started. If it gets darkish, the sensor in the left speeker grille tells the controller to turn on the headlights, tail lights, and dash lights. The headlamp switch consists of 2 "paddles" - one turns on the park lights (over-riding the auto lamp feature only to turn them on) and the other turns on headlights AND park lights (over-riding the auto lamp feature ONLY to turn them on).
The DRL will not come on if the parking brake is applied before the ignition is turned on. They can NOT be shut off after the key is turned on and the brake released.
My '96 Mystique has DRL but no auto headlamp function, and the drl works the same as on the Pontiac, as far as the brake switch is concerned.

L- XM15'H>:PDHI$FM2K&8K'6!-3Y=LW 6^BUCUNPV&>>.LV_T.J(``#L` ` end
On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 05:44:23 -0500, "pick one" <try again!> wrote:

You are right - no brake lockout for the DRL on the Mystique.

Seams you can only be right once. I quote from the operators manual: Daytime Running Lights (Canada Only)
The Canadian Federeal Government has decided that Daytime Running Lights (DRL) are a useful feature, in that DRL can make your vehicle more visible to pedestrians and other drivers during daylight hours. DRL are required on new vehicles sold in Canada.
Your DRL work with a light sensor on top of the instrument panel. Don't cover it up. The low beam headlights will come on at reduced brightness in daylight when: The ignition is on The headlight switch is off, and The parking brake is released At dusk the exterior lights will come on automatically and the low beams will change to full brightness. At dawn, the exterior lights will go out and the low beams will change to the reduced output of DRL (if the headlight switch is off). Of course you may still turn on the headlights any time you need to. To idle your vehicle with the DRL off, set the parking brake while the ignition is in the OFF or LOCK position. Then start the vehicle. The DRL will stay off until you release the parking brake,"
Absolutely no adjustable threshold or "defeat" designed into the system - PERIOD.

and service manual from GM.
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 05:28:44 -0500, "pick one" <try again!> wrote:

since the late sixties, I kinda know how to read 'em too.
Quotes are ok, but let me cut the cards. The real document is all I'll buy.