disaster at my local dealership

I would agree with two exceptions:

1: If the car is in need of a diagnostic and you can't figure out what sensor or module is wrong. $70 at the dealer who has an interest in getting the car out ASAP and has all the equipment to test every module and sensor on the car is a cheap price.

In my case, I recently had a car in a shop for two weeks and he couldn't figure it out. Then I took it to another for a week - and same deal. Took it to the dealer - 3 hours later(charged for 1.5 hours) they told me what two things were wrong and also changed two things the second mechanic altered to get it to run back to where they were supposed to be. Wouldn't run anymore after that, but with the two *proper* parts installed - presto!

Small shops arent set up to track down electrical system gremlins as quickly and efficiently. Of course, all dealers aren't the same, so YMMV.

2:One area that I found to be worth going to the dealer for was replacing the door seals. Why? Because half of the time it still doesn't seal correctly and has to be replaced again or altered. The dealer will eat the inevetable couple of improperly installed attempts/pieces to do the job right(especially true if you have the older foam type). Definately not a DIY job. You only pay for the one correctly installed set, no matter how many pieces it takes.

This also holds true for parts that tend to destroy themselves when you are trying to install them(sunroofs come to mind - a PITA to fix).

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Perhaps it one owns and old car, but it is getting harder to find any shop beside a dealership that can afford the hundreds of thousand of dollars worth of equipment necessary to work on today's high tech vehicles ;)

mike hunt

Crazy Greek wrote:

Reply to
BigJohnson

Many independent will not do all the work that your car may need and you have to take it to the dealer. Example, on my 94 Ford Thunderbird SC nobody would do a tuneup on it because it was a pain in the butt. In order to get to the plugs on the car you had to lower the engine. Since the car had many miles on it anyway, I went ahead and had the dealer replace all the oil gaskets, yes it cost a few bucks, but I have to give my dealer credit because my car doesn't leak ANY more oil. They did a great job in fixing all the oil leaks now my car doesn't go through a quart of oil between oil changes. Now mind you I don't have my dealer do all my servicing needs, alot of routine maintanance is do by myself.

But as others have mentioned not all dealers are equal and that goes to say the same with independent shops.

Joseph Oberlander wrote:

Reply to
Thomas Wong