Do even Soccer Moms and Grandmas have Superchargers or Twin Turbos in their cars these days?

I accelerate normally when I get a green light at the stop light and like 95% of the time I'm the slowest accelerating vehicle on the road and the cars that were in parallell lanes always out accelerate me by
a mile and the cars behind me are always tailgaiting when I'm accelerating after I get the green light. About the only vehicles that I out accelerate with normal acceleration are large trucks and busses. It's not like everyone on the road is driving a Mclaren F1, Bugatti Veyron 16/4 or a Ferrari Enzo, they're driving Accords, Camrys, Explorers, Windstars, etc, but they always out accelerate me. It's not like people are smoking their tires, I think they're just accelerating nomrally. I mean it's not like I'm driving a 1987 Yugo. It's true that I'm driving a car that weighs over 2 tons, but it does have 205hp@4250RPM and more importantly 280 ft-lbs of torque @ 3000RPM. It does 0-60 in 8.2 seconds and 1/4 mile in 16.9 seconds @81.8MPH. You'd think that a quarter mile time of 16.9 seconds would make a car about average or maybe slightly above average, but where I live I guess that's considered extremely bad acceleration even for a Grandma's Car these days.

Grandma, I give up. What are you driving?? bamp
bamp wrote:

Is it a BMW X5 3.0d?
"bamp" <bampatcenturyteldotnet> wrote in message

Well, I'm not a grandma, I'm a guy. Back to the subject, I'm driving a 2000 Town Car Executive.
I know the problem!
It's a Ford product!
The fastest and only cure, BURN it!
Refinish King

You need a big dose of Chrysler to cure you of that opinion.
Jon

car
With what I consider "normal" acceleration for the car, our 2,9L 960 has me way out in front of the pack, and the 1,9L Turbo-Diesel Golf has me ahead of many people (unless someone pushes their car a little - some guy in a big Maxima or something like that) on an initial start (great low end torque) and usually until the next light, unless someone decides my 5-10kph over the speed limit (this is normal for Ontario city roads, on backroads 10-25kph over is pretty standard, on some 80kph divided highways some people do almost 40kph over... police fear isn't too high here).
Bad gearing for acceleration or your "normal" is a little less then other peoples - I think many people around here accelerate too slowly.... BTW if I'm driving my dads 2003 Golf with a 2,0L gasoline engine I seem to be behind in the formation for the "ratrace 500" unless I rev up a little higher in 1st gear.

The Diesel wrote:

I think you'll find most/all operators of the other vehicles treat the accelerator as an on/off switch. And, of course, they're all automatics so it's not like there's any skill involved in driving this way. If you drive like them, I think you'll find that they aren't out accelerating you.
Depends if its horse power or pony power I had to get a decent turbo Volvo as I was being abused for not moving quick enough in my fairlane now they are still braking when I am well gone moving into traffic GO GREY POWER .......I have just come home with my wife driving her Turbo Volvo she scares me stiff never under the speed limit just over mostly and here in Australia Victoria that means 1.8 miles an hour over and a hundred and twenty Five Dollars to the police with their faulty cameras maybe more .one point eight miles an hour +$125 dollars but she likes to give generously to the police dept .

John Robertson wrote:

Gee, and I'll bet you've got real police work that needs doing. We do here. If the state needs more $$ for whatever, I wish the politicians and police would be honest about it. As it is, we've got a bunch of police officers chasing citizens at supra legal speeds for trivial offenses. Invariably, neither of the pair possess even average driving skills which frequently leads to accidents - often involving innocents. Whatever they're thinking, this foolishness surely doesn't make me feel safer on the highways.
I guess we should all support our Police!
They need the coffee and donuts!
Refinish King

so
drive
Refinish King wrote:

When I was a kid, the police used many more motor bikes. When one passed, some other kid would remark: "Could you see the saddle?" ;-)