Do I have 155 or 200 Horsepower?

2002 FORD TAURUS SE [sedan 4 door] Engine 3.0L V6 SFI OHV FRONT WHEEL DRIVE
It seems Ford made two of the same 3.0 liter engines, one was 155 and the other was 200 hp.
How do I determine which one mine is? Is their some model/serial number on the car?
thank you.
Robert Blass wrote:

There will be a different VIN. However, the 3.0 Vulcan engine with 155 HP.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Taurus
Jeff
it will be on the engine identification tag.

Most likely 155 HP simply because I have a Ranger with a 4.0L V6 & it has 240 HP.
Shawn wrote:

Why? Ford made two different 3.0 litre engines, one with 155 HP and one with 200 HP. Just because you have 4.0 litre engine with 240 HP doesn't mean that the OP has a 3.0 litre engine with 155 HP.
Jeff

8th digit of VIN is engine code 2=3.0L Vulcan,OHV,EFI,6 cyl, flex fuel S=3.0L DOHC, EFI, 6 cyl U=3.0L Vulcan,OHV, EFI, 6 cyl
The Vulcan is a 12 valve and the DOHC is a 24 valve engine.
I believe the Vulcan is a 145HP engine and the DOHC is a 150 HP engine. There was a SHO or something like that in the 90's with 200HP or so.
following:

thank you very much, makes more sense.

The above is incorrect, sorry for the confusion. The 2002 3.0L is 155Hp and the DOHC is 200Hp. I was quoting the old vulcan and newer Vulcan Hp. This info is harder to find than you would think. Wonder why the Hp ratings are not listed for the engines on the spec sheets. Neither Kelly or Edmunds list the Hp info.
following:

After some time searching [like 3 hours] I found this... https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/vin_tools/default.asp
I hope it's legit?

Why on earth would it NOT be legit? it's a FORD company site...
See https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/vin_tools/pdfs/VIN2002.pdf that breaks it all down...
As others have said...see if the 8th VIN digit is an S or U...that will tell ya fer sure fer sure.....
Another way to tell...if the oil filter is a tall skinny one (soft drink can size) it's a Vulcan 145HP.
If it's short and fat, about as tall as it is round...a little taller than a can of Planter's cocktail peanuts...it's a Duratec ~ 200 HP.
--Don
. Don Byrer KJ5KB Radar Tech & Smilin' Commercial Pilot Guy Glider & CFI wannabe kj5kb-at-hotmail.com
"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..." "Watch out for those doves...<smack-smack-smack-smack...>"
the following:

thanks for the url
tango wrote:

No, the Vulcan has 155 HP and Duratec has 200 HP. Both are 3.0 litre engines.
My 2.5 litre Duratec makes 150 HP in my Contour.
Jeff

Which, all things being equal, would make a 3.0 Duratec 180 HP - but not all things are necessarilly equal (and there was a higher HP version of the 2.5 available in a special edition contour). I believe the 3.0 Duratec WAS rated at 200HP, at least in some years/markets.
The 3.5 liter version of the Duratec used by Mazda is 244 SAE NET HP at 5000 RPM and 258 ft lb at 2500 Used in the Ford Edge it is 265 hp at 6,250 rpm and 250 lb.-ft.of torque at 4,500 RPM.
These HP ratings, and the ratings for most 2008 and all 2009 models will be lower by about 7% due standardization to a new horsepower procedure called "J2723."
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:

Actually, I mistyped. The HP rating of my 2.5 litre Contour is 170, not 150.
Jeff

So all else being equal, a 3.0 engine would be 204HP scaling strictly by displacement and HP per CC.