Do-it-yourself kit for starter/ Taurus 92

Hello all, Did anybody have experience of repairs of a starter? (that's for Taurus 92) I have heard about repairs kits for starters. Do they really exist? If yes , where can I get it from? Does it make sense to use such a kit?

The problem is apparently in the starter motor. One day it just did not start. Somebody told me if I hit the motor with a hammer it would start. It has been a months since then and now I find myself in the following situation :

1) probability that starter does its job is about 50% (i.e roughly every second time it does not start) 2)if it does not start I am continuously hitting the motor for 3-5 minutes until it starts. This allows me to feel myself as being a woodpecker...

Dmitrii

Reply to
Void

If this is similiar to my 1994 taurus, the problem lies with the small electrical connector going to the starter. It's just a slide connector. I pulled mine off, used a pair of needlenose pliers to tighten it a little, slid it back on and never had any more problems.

Reply to
Jimz466

i remmeber having the drive gear on my old 66 mustang being eaten up and tired of buying new/rebuilt starters back then.. i then started getting the drive gear for about $6.00 and would just replace it until i could get time to pull the transmission and replace the flywheel.... you probably have a loose connection on or in your starter... mightr even be just tarnish on the wires to the starter/the bold and nut that holds the wire to the starter???? take if off and check for tarnish and use a wire brush on it to clean it off..

Reply to
dbird

Reply to
Void

Starters wear out. There are several items in a starter that wear: the brushes, gears, bearings, relays, etc. After 10 years the starter could be worn out. I just replaced my starter, 1993 Taurus, 108,000 miles lots of city driving. Replacement isn't hard or expensive. Two bolts, a couple of wires and you're done. The old piece is returned for the "core deposit" you paid when you bought the replacement. Buy a "rebuilt starter" from a store you trust.

Good Luck

Reply to
Bill

thanks , Bill!

That Taurus 92 is my first car and I am brand new to all these automotive things. My mechanic estimated the whole repair 325 Cdn (parts+ labor). As far as I know replacement of starter is not a difficult or long job , likely < 1 hr. the mechanic charges labor at the rate 50 Cdn /hr. Hence,a new starter appears to be priced at 325-50=275 Cdn. That is a little bit too much in my view, although I admit I might be wrong (as I said I am brand new to all that).

Is that price reasonable at all? Is there any place on the Internet where i could look up for refurbished or used parts ?

Dmitrii

Bill wrote:

Reply to
Void

I think I paid around $100 US. Other than the temperature, I did the replacement in December, on a cold concrete floor, in an unheated garage. The job took me about an hour. This was the first, and I hope only, starter I replace. If you have the tools and a bit of time, I believe this is a "do-it-yourself" type work. Be careful, disconnect the battery, put the car on jack stands or blocks, wear eye protection and don't do anything dumb. Other than that, have a buddy around to help if you do have a problem.

Reply to
Bill