Does V-6 have enough hop for the cops?

From Automotive
Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20120227/OEM01/302279966

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 17:29:50 -0500, "C. E. White"

the last horsepower usually comes at the wrong time.
Yes, a twin turbo direct injection 6 can make as much power and torque as a normally aspirated 8, but at what cost??? The six is MUCH more highly stressed - and a twin turbo engine is definitely in thoroughbred territory.Let's see how they compare after 200,000 miles - or even Kilometers.

I sort of agree. You can do a hell of a lot with 2.5 litres and 6-12 cylinders BUT a really good engine of this type costs a fortune, and is not made to lollygag around the doughnut shop.
Radar and radio communications are "light speed" faster than anything on wheels.

Police cars have a very limited lifetime, and it's not the engine that fails, it's usually the body, and it's often because it's running into things. So there may be no serious disadvantage in having an engine that fails at 50,000 miles here.

"You can't outrun Motorola" as they say, yes. --scott

On 02/27/2012 04:29 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

finally, a logical thinker! well said.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

On 27 Feb 2012 19:29:28 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Up here you see a LOT of "retired" cruisers on the road in private hands - many in use as taxi-cabs (and yes, they are ex cruisers - not purchased new as cabs) And even being in the rust belt - the bodies are generally in pretty good shape - even when the cab is retired and scrapped. The number of cruisers lost to collisions is slightly higher than would be expected in normal civilian use. An 80,000 Km lifespan would be TOTALLY unacceptable to the Waterloo Regional Police Serevice or the Ontario Provincial Police, and most urban police forces.

The NC State Surplus has old NC Highway Patrol Cars for sale all the time. I've looked at a few. The Crown Vics usually have over 100,000 miles. It seems they are mostly snapped up by the local cab companies who repaint them and drive them forever. The dual exhauts, cheap wheel covers and plugged holes are a sure give away that you are riding in an old HP car. The NC HP is using Dodge Chargers now. I have not seen any on the suplus list. The Raleigh city police seem to only sell their old Crown Vic cop cars when they are wrecked or have over 150k miles.
My thought on the need for hig power patrol cars is - why? It seems like the bad guys are always in an SUV, Van, or a clapped out Honda. Any decent modern sedan should be able to keep pace. In the few cases where the bad guy is driving something actually fast, are we really better off having multiple idiots driving at 100+ mph? Lately around here it seems there have been as many single car cop accidents as bad guys driving fast and causing mayhem. I can see the need for a few fast police cars, but I can't see the whole police fleet needing 150 mph cars. I think sticking the cops in regular Tauri or Accords or Camry's would be just fine. The county where my farm is located gives the deputities Fusions (not even 6 cylinder Fusions). Seems like a good idea to me.
Ed
On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 17:49:41 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Perhaps they won't hold up as well as one might hope but realistically the cops really have no need for that much power and other then just accelerating fast for the fun of it there are very very few times they ever need to accelerate faster than a run of the mill fleet car can do. Particularly in the city. It's just a my dick is bigger then your dick thing with the cops.
On 2/27/2012 17:29, C. E. White wrote:

I wasn't aware the Caprice was back in production, much less RWD.
--
Steve Walker
snipped-for-privacy@frontierbrain.com (remove brain when replying)
Steve Walker wrote:

Not for civilian sales.
http://www.chevroletcapriceppv.com /
Doubt that the Ford twin turbo will sell a lot since very few departments really need that sort of speed.
--
Steve W.

michigan winters. more so in suburbs
maybe there is another "don't stuck" facility on police edition rear wheel drivers? a rear bench driver helping to push out of a snowbank I guess

"Cincinnati police now cap chase speeds at 20 mph over the speed limit."
http://communitypress.cincinnati.com/article/AB/20120223/NEWS/302240029/City-police-routinely-flout-high-speed-chase-policies?odyssey=mod |newswell|text|communities|s
http://tinyurl.com/6rlouj3 -----
- gpsman
Performance is determined by lots of stuff. Number of cyls is but one of many, many considerations.
Where are the specs on the cars in the alleged comparison? For instance, what does the little taurus W-E-I-G-H???
Does Mr. Kranz show us a "nail in the coffin"? Or does he show us only idiot hype (and waste our time)??