Dome light problem

Hello,

I have a 1997 Ford Taurus Wagon.

Sometimes when driving the interior dome light comes on and the door signal in the dash too. It's like the car is detecting that one of the doors is open when it is not. I have opened and closed all doors and the rear hatch, but sometimes it just stays on even when the key is out of the ignition. I'm worried that this light will drain the battery.

Does anyone have any solutions to fix this problem?

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

John

Reply to
John

Your going to have to go to each door switch, hopefully you can pull them out, and disconnect the wire to the switch to find out which one is sticking.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Well known issue. The switches are part of the latches. The most common fix is to spray something like WD40 into the latch and open/close the door several times. You may need to repeat a few times. Once it seems to be working fine, and after the WD40 evaporates, grease them up properly.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

This didn't resolve the problem so I just pulled the dome light bulb out.

Thanks anyway.

Reply to
John

Wait maybe I made a mistake. Is the latch inside the door handle?

I sprayed the WD-40 into the metal hook like think on the side of the door. Is that the latch?

Reply to
John

Yes, but you need to spray it UP and IN alot. Then work the switch by opening and closing the door about 10 times. It almost ALWAYS works.

Reply to
ScottM

Yes, the latch is the mechanism in the door. The switch senses it's position, but sometimes gunk causes it to stick in the 'door open' position.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Spraying on a bit of electrical cleaner should do the job

Reply to
Mike hunt

it should go out after 10 mins....

Reply to