Drip Gas is in the news

From the Net, drip gasoline

It finds its way into your gasoline, particularly from "off brands."
The reason for this post is bring to your attention that there is no single formula for motor fuel in the United States. This needs to be addressed. Gasoline varies by region, climate, season, refiner and seller! You do not know WTF goes into your tank. No wonder when you floorboard that '70 Trans-Am, it pings like you're running on the octane rating of cow piss. It's drip gas the culprit.
The solution is entirely in the hands of the Federal Government. Aviation gasoline is made to a Federally approved formula. 80-87, for example, is the same in Los Angeles as in Miami, summer or winter, Chevron or Union 76. No 80-87 aviation gas can be sold unless it strictly meets the Federal specification for it. That's the way your auto gas MUST be refined, to a uniform, strict formula. Then you will get uniform performance from any pump in the Country. Drip gas will be a footnote in history. And a side benefit, you will never, ever have fuel injector clogging again in your lifetime.
Add pictures here
βœ–
In todays EPA world in the US, the gasoline that is pumped throughout the country is the all the SAME. Once it gets to the terminal the retailer adds what ever is required to meet the specs for the gasoline required to be sold in that area, based on altitude, environmental regs etc. Different brands add what ever particular additional additive(so) it chooses to distinguish its brand.
mike hunt

Add pictures here
βœ–
Not true. All gas is NOT the same. http://www.faqs.org/faqs/autos/gasoline-faq/part1 /
--
Steve Williams

"Mike Hunter" < snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com> wrote in message
βœ–
I wouldn't claim that ALL gas is the same, but I would not be surprised if a given "base" gasoline of an appropriate octane rating could be turned into Mobil or Shell or Amoco or whatever simply by adding the correct amount of a concentrate containing the additives specific to that particular brand.
Example: Nor far from me is a seller of "bulk petroleum products." They have pumps with their own name on, from which they dispense fuel to trucking companies, to schools for their buses, etc. Immediately adjacent, with no fence between, is a BP gas station, and the name on the office/convenience store is that of the aforementioned seller of "bulk petroleum products."
Is it unreasonable for me to assume that the BP/Amoco gas that they sell is simply the no-name gas with the appropriate additives added.
Perce
On 03/16/06 10:55 am Steve W. wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
Re: Drip Gas is in the news Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Thu, Mar 16, 2006, 11:58am From: snipped-for-privacy@NotMyISP.com (Percival P. Cassidy) Is it unreasonable for me to assume that the BP/Amoco gas that they sell is simply the no-name gas with the appropriate additives added. Perce<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Then there are "no brand" stations that buy short loads from any tanker truck. You never know whose brand your getting or if the octane rating is correct.
Eric
Add pictures here
βœ–
That is true for what comes out at the pump, but what comes out of the pipeline at the terminal is indeed EXACTLY the same since EPA regulations when in effect. There is no longer something known a 'plug gas,' that was once bought off by independents. Do a search of the Petroleum Industry site and see for yourself.
mike hunt

Add pictures here
βœ–

I am an environmental attorney who helped establish the fuel quality program for my state and currently represent several fuel distributors and dealer groups in my state.
While it is true that there many be little brand difference in the raw fuel at the terminal, it is also true that branded gas gets a special "hamburger helper" additive package for two reasons. 1. So that the brand owner can trace its product to make sure branded dealers are not taking in non-branded product on the side. 2. To meet specific marketing objectives related to characteristics of the fuel (octane and valve cleaning characteristics are most common).
But fuel coming from a refinery is very different from area to area in such significant areas as volatility, for example, to meet specific EPA mandated weather related issues to keep down hydrocarbon pollution).
The majors that operate refineries swap product so that their dealers typically get product delivered from the most economical source.
Richard.
Add pictures here
βœ–

βœ–
Perhaps my post was not clear on the point. I suppose if I said 'what comes out of the pipeline at the terminal, in specific areas, is indeed EXACTLY the same,' it would have been better. The fact is pipeline companies no longer pump specific amounts of brand 'X' the brand 'Y' then brand 'Z' as the did before EPA regs went into effect, OK?
mike hunt

Add pictures here
βœ–

of his posts. Your attempts to carry on a debate just won't work.
Add pictures here
βœ–

While this might be true within a partuiuclar region, there ae regional differences in gasoline. The EPA mandates this. See http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Files/US%20Gasoline%20Map%20100102.pdf (or http://tinyurl.com/hdayf )
Also see:
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/GFM/Products_Services/Fuels/Gasoline_FAQ.asp (or http://tinyurl.com/h6xan ) http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/gas_qanda/reform.shtml (or http://tinyurl.com/hkjp7 ) API Site - http://tinyurl.com/hgvdb
Add pictures here
βœ–
Indeed different terminals in different reasons must introduce additives to comply with the gasoline regs in that area but what is transported through the pipeline from the terminal is EXACTLY the same
mike hunt

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 01:00:05 +0100 (CET), Nomen Nescio

that fires up you car might work in Texas, but not in Alaska or Denver. And the gas that helps eliminate water content in the southeast, is a bit of a waste in Arizona and Utah. And of course those special states with their higher emission standards.... wellll.
On the other hand, AVGAS keeps your fuel from freezing up at 36,960 feet whether you're over New York, or Minot; Riverside or Charleston.
I'd much rather hear a ping an 10" than at 7 miles. I know what it's like to fall out of my car in the local distillery parking lot and hit the pavement. Not pleasant but it beats watching those green specks turn into huge trees and those ants turn into 18 wheelers. I've yet to travel on any airline that issues 'chutes... "flotation devices" yes, 'chutes, no.
--
Spike
βœ–

And we care about that, WHY?

Danger WillRobinson...I smell drip gas!

And Congrats, SPIKE!!! You back-fed Nomen more bloviation than the law requires!
;)
--
Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, ..... ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Add pictures here
βœ–

It's a good thing you posted this here. We will take care of it immediately. Thanks again. You may have just saved the world.
Dave
Add pictures here
βœ–

LMFAO!