Dumb Short-sight opinions II; was Hybrid Lament

Face it the vast majority of the 19,000,000 new vehicle buyers in the US do NOT want smaller more economical cars. If people wanted small high mileage vehicles they currently can buy any one of dozen of so available on the market today. Obviously buyers have many needs besides a low acquisition cost and/or low fuel costs. Look at what people actually buy today. Half of all the new vehicles sold in the US today are light trucks including SUVs. The top selling three vehicles are not cars nor is the best selling vehicle a car, it is the Ford F150 and has been for nearly thirty years. Even the best selling car is not a small car, it is an intermediate sedan, the Camry. Eight out of 10 Camrys sold has only a 4cy engine not a V6, but that has more to do with Toyotas pricing strategy then fuel economy. To get a V6 in a Camry one needs to upgrade to the point where even Toyota lovers balk at the high price. Other brands that offer a V6 a more reasonable prices, sell more V6s than 4s however.

mike

"Backyard Mechanic" wrote in message news:Xns9717E5B39BA8Epettyfogery@207.115.63.158...

Reply to
Mike Hunter

> Detroit could easily build a 2500 pound

>> family car that gives 40 mpg and costs $8,000 brand new and gives >> 250,000 trouble-free miles on nothing but routine maintenance.

Uh... yes they could!

One marque per maker

With, one powertrain, 3 models, no yearly facelift designing, platform and fascia unchanged for 12 years and available only in black, with tan mohair upholstery, but hey... isnt that where Ford came in?

- - - -- - - - - -

And that was tried before.. called it a Yugo. Met the price anyway..

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

As soon as I read the description I thought Yugo... the throw away car....

Reply to
Spike

Actually, that is where Kia and Hyundai come in. The Kia Rio gets 38 MPG and costs $11,000 or so. Pretty close.

And the Hyundai Accent is $10,000 and gets about 35 mpg.

If people wanted cheap car and higher milage, someone would deliver. But most people want more car than you can get for $8000 or even $11,000.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Exactly. Remember the premise of Saturn? Not exactly cheap but high quality, high reliabilty, good milage?!!!!!!

Yeah... LOT of people SAY that's what's wanted.. and maybe THEY do... but, for me, I'd rather drive a used TBird or Mustang than a Saturn, let alone a Hyndai or Kia.

Of course, 'come the Revolution'.....

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Remember the tv show (also movie) Alien Nation? Where our hero had a TransAM or some such, but fuel and parts were hard to get.....

Wasn't the Yugo down in the $5-7K range?

Reply to
Spike

(...)

But people pay a preium for good fuel milage with the Prius, Civic Hybrid and Escape hybrid and some VW diesel models.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Your post has given me some thought. If I were to purchase a new car at this time a reasonable choice would be a Honda Civic with a stick. Excellent fit and finish, enough room and power for me, proven technology and reasonably economical. However !!! When I get out in traffic I am intimidated. I realize I want more steel, more mass, more airbags and better sight lines. So I would probably get a Camry or accord for a sedan or a minivan. A civic, focus or neon may give excellent crash protection but I am not convinced. Anyway I am not in the market for a new car cuz I drive them till they break.

Howard

89 Mustang vert 95 Windstar
Reply to
Howard Nelson

Yup, they pay as much extra for the car as they save in gas. I guess it makes them feel good but it's really just consumption of energy via first cost and eventual recycling cost (esp of the batteries) rather the periodic costs for fuel.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Cost point****

They were selling brand new Cavalier's for $10,000 Canadian this past summer.... Maintained that would be pretty close to the goal.

Personal Rant point*******

What the big 3 should be building (in my opinion) is full size vehicles with medium range (20 miles) batteries and electric motors/generators.

First rule of engineering KISS Keep It Simple Stupid.

A quick couple connection (say one at each front wheel) that connects and charges as you park. Provides a use for overnight electrical generation and would dramatically reduce fuel consumption/air pollution. Installed in tandem to a decent V8 you'd have neck snapping acceleration when you want it and electric power for the stop and go driving that accounts for 90% of our daily frustration/air pollution.

We could keep the cars we love, plus have a reduced dependency upon foreign oil.

As for the feel good small car crowd.... Has anyone calculated the pollution and other costs created by a person in a pop can car having serious accident v/s a person in a real car (Crown Vic/Town Car). (Last time that I heard nearly 4LBS of CFC's were released to clean plastic stents used for medical procedures)

Reply to
joe schmoe