Dummy's questions

Hello experts, Winter is coming I wanted to put some efforts into preventive maintenance (something I have never ever done before). I have Mercury Sable LS 97, sedan. I love this car and I want it to serve me for another 3 or 4 yrs.

The body is in the excellent shape. Is it sensible to wax it? What is the sense in waxing- is it just for neath appearance or it would protect car's body from the rust and salt (we got lots of salt on roads in the winter time in Ontario)

What types of antirust protections are available on the market? What are the differencies between them in the terms of price and functionality? How much effective is it? (provided I live in the place with cold and snowy winters and lots of salt on roads)

Dmitri Boldovsky

Reply to
DNB

I'd be climbing under that sucker with a tube of marine grease and spreading it all over the steel brake lines and anything else that looked rusty. I'm not so concerned about the paint job as the mechanicals. How about a transmission flush? Those Sable/Taurus trannsmissions are notorious for problems. Change your fuel filter and take some of the strain off that expensive in-tank fuel pump. Also, change your coolant regularly. You don't even want to know what it costs for a heater core replacement in that car. If you are serious about maintenance, go through your owner's manual and look at the list of recommended services. Do some catch up work.

Reply to
Al Bundy