E150 300-6 LOOSE SPARK PLUGS/RECOMMENDATION FOR PLUG?

Just bought the van with around 99K miles on it. Spark plugs 2-6 were just hanging in there, loose as can be. Champion plugs. 2 were absolute bastards to get out, as there was hardened combustion byproducts between the threads and taper of the spark plugs. Could this simply have been some idiot refusing to take the doghouse off and changing them from the hood? Also, does anyone have a spark plug recommendation for this setup? Thanks.

Reply to
septicman

Indeed an idiot if he used Champions.

Now you have extra work.. have to clean the chamfer and blow it out.

The exact callout for the Motorcraft or AutoLite plugs.. no gimmicks, no double-plats... NO BOSCH!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

whats wrong with BOSCH plugs? :P

I put motorcraft plugs in my two fords... but i put bosch plat's in the wifes civic.

Reply to
Picasso

Bosch plugs ran for crap in my '89 Probe (even if it was really a Mazda), but ran good (but not as good as Autolite) in my '00 Eclipse 4-banger. NGK plugs worked very well in the Probe. But of all the different vehicles I've owned and all the plugs I've changed since my '55 Chevy I had in 1963, I think I've had the best all-around results with Autolite. I wouldn't put Champion's in my weed-eater.

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

What is the problem with Bosch plugs in Ford engines? Is this a relatively new issue?

Reply to
Fordfan

It's common for Bosch plugs to cause misfires and odd driveability problems in some (many?) Ford engines. I've personally seen it on the 4.6 and 5.0. It's common enough that, for driveability concerns, I always ask if the customer has insatlled Bosch plugs in the vehicle. Strange, but Ford motors don't like them. FWIW, Bosch glow plugs last about a week in Ford Diesel engines.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

And I've seen it in my 2.3L and 3.8's

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I agree that it's strange but I've never heard of any explanation for why Bosch plugs don't work well in Ford engines. I also wonder when this problem began. Does it apply to all Ford engines of any year?

Reply to
Fordfan

I've never heard why either. They work for some folks, they don't work for others. They work well in some motors, poorly in others. I just don't use Bosch plugs in ANY Ford, then I don't have to worry about it.

Reply to
Tom Adkins