E250 differential vibration

I have a 95 E250 cargo van with 220,000 miles. I get a rumbling vibration when I accelerate over 50mph. It has been diagnosed as the differential by two shops. I've been quoted $1000 at one shop and
$2000 at the dealer. I have the money to fix it, but I hope to trade it in in 6-12 months and I hate to spend more than the van is worth to fix it.
The question that no one seems to agree on: how long do I have, and what will happen? Will the noise/vibration get worse? Will I have any sort of warning? Will it seize up or cause additional damage to other components if I let it go? Could it cause an accident if I drive it to the breaking point?
TIA, Imagoomba
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Yes. All of the above. You have exactly 18days,9hours,22minutes and 6seconds/or 1357 miles until it fails completely. Now you know. Unless someone has X-ray vision there is absolutely no way to answer those questions. The only sure thing is that something is failing and it WILL get worse. You could tear it down and inspect it to find the problem, but........ At this point the ball is in your court and the decision is yours. You have a total of 3 choices:
1. Sell it now 2. Have it repaired. 3. Roll the dice and keep driving it.
I always equate this type of question with someone asking "how long is a piece of string?".
I don't see the original posters concern over any disagreement... apparently everyone agrees that his diff is pooched...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Junkyard rear end. Small independent shop to put it in. 400 to 600 dollars if your lucky and shop around.
Or do you feel lucky? If you only drove it around town, you might roll the dice. If your out on the road, i might vote to change it out.
Bob
-