E350 gas tank question.

I have a E350 Ford Van that has a bad fuel pump. I have to drop the tank to replace the pump. And thanks to Ford you can't get to the pump without dropping the tank.And guess who just filed up with gas right before it went out. What is the best way to get the gas out of the tank other than my shotgun.

Thanks

Julie

Reply to
Julie in Tampa

Ford isn't the only one using in-tank pumps; almost all manufacturers are. First you'll have to find a can or number of cans to hold all the fuel you're going to remove. You can either siphon it out through the filler hose (if there isn't an anti-siphon device in it), or try disconnecting the gas line somewhere where there's rubber tubing. Or just cut the steel line in front of the tank and use a piece of rubber gas line to repair it when you're done. SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

Don't cut any fuel lines if it is fuel injected, they are special pressure lines and you will end up replacing the whole line.

Reply to
351CJ

Remove the bed. Pretty straightforward...

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

It's a van chassie.

Reply to
Julie in Tampa

Got it... saw E350 & processed F350...

If you can get the pump running by banging the tank while cranking - it can usually be done before a complete failure - get as much fuel into an approved container/containers from the Schrader valve on the fuel rail.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Much easier on the starter to find the fuel pump inertia switch and run a positive wire to the pump side of it.

Reply to
Ampdoc

Hopefully the van will start and the pump will continue to run while fuel is being drawn off... but a good idea if you don't want a questionable fuel tap connection running near a hot, running engine.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

I like the inertia switch. Where is it?

Reply to
Julie in Tampa

You can get a siphon pump and try to empty it

Reply to
Scott

your going to have a very tough time pumping out 30 plus gallons of gas through a bad fuel pump.....siphoning out the filler is your best bet. Siphon it into cans and fill your car, boat, motor cycle, ect up one ot two cans at a time...hell, sell it to your niegbors at a small loss :)

Reply to
Scott M