E4OD -- Hard shift from 1 to 2

'95 Bronco with the 5.0L V8, 4WD

Driving slowly makes normal shift. If a little aggressive on the gas, the

1 - 2 shift is very harsh. All other gears are okay.

This Bronco is running oversize tires with the stock 3.55 gears. The hard shifts started after the tires were installed, however this happened outside of San Diego, and the problem started near Dallas. Overdrive is mostly not useable with the current tires and gearing, but there was no other trouble driving to Dallas. OD had to be switched off to keep the torque curve inside of the speed range, this is cured with smaller tires or lower gears -- 4.10s should do the trick.

The 1-2 shift was fine when the truck went to Dalas, now it is problematic. My guess is a solenoid. I only know enough to be dangerous.

What say you?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

If this transmission is manually shifted with a cable to the shifter and not electronic switches (MLPS?), check for a damaged / worn grommet along the cable, throwing the adjustment out of whack.

Reply to
Steve Stone

The E4OD is electronic. The shift lever has a cable to the gear selector, but once the gear range is selected, the rest happens by switching solenoids on and off. I put the shift lever on D and leave it. My only issue is that when driven moderate to hard, the 1-2 shift is very jerky. If driven mildly, the same shift is normal, for lack of a better description.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

This may or may not apply to your situation. It was true on a 90 Mustang and some other Fords... There is a plastic connecting piece that is part of "stuff" that hooks the throttle valve cable to the lever on the side of the throttle body. If that plastic breaks then the TV cable doesn't move like its supposed to with changes in throttle position. I've heard it can be very bad for the transmission, whether it causes your symptoms I don't know. It should be easy to check to see if your TV cable is still connected, assuming that year has one.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher