Econoline 96 stuck in park

After starting the van it was stuck in park. After turning it off, I put the key in the on position and was able to shift into neutral and start the van and drive it. Both the digital speedometer and odometer
were out and the overdrive button was flashing and the check engine light is on. Could not retrieve the codes for the check engine light, port seems dead?. Any thoughts?
timod wrote:

Last ford i had doing that it was on its way to the transmission shop for a rebuild... also recall the stuck in park was a burned out tail light one time but the o/d wasn't flashing when that happened for sure.
but hey,i'm no pro...

I had a similar problem with a Ford of this vintage, not an Econoline. There was a loose connector on a sensor switch on the brake pedal. It was used to enforce a computer rule: *When the engine is on the brake pedal must be depressed before the transmission shifts out of neutral.*
--
Jack Myers / Westminster, California, USA