EGR 84 - is it worth it to fix??

Hello all. I recently connected a tester to my 86 E250 van with a 5.0 liter motor. The code came back as an 84. Checking the book it refers to the EGR valve vacuum control solenoid. When I checked one of the 2
solenoids it had an infinite resistance far out of the ohm range stated. The cost for this assembly (2 solenoid valves mounted on a plastic bar) is $80.00 +/- . The vehicle doesn't seem to be acting strange (odd idling, stalling at lights, etc.) so -- is it worth spending this money to repair it? By that, if its not repaired can any damage be done to the motor? Will my gas mileage suffer? Some posts in the archive state you must fix it or else while others advocate just blocking it off and saving the money for a night out. Any help appreciated.... Thanks...
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Those solenoids are about a 'dime a dozen' at "u-pick-ems'
And those valves aren't an aging commodity... some will fail some wont. Why take a chance... just fix it.
It doesnt have to be a perfect match, either. Just one made to work with an EEC IV system, and the ohm value should be in same range
you pay..DEAL with it!
The EGR valve fulfills two functions... first and most important in the reduction of NOx.... second, it reduces the possibility of damaging engine ping.
While we may consider that an 86 isn't worth the expense of an EGR valve, surely, doing our little bit to reduce the pollution we cause is worth the expense.