EGR code , what can happen?

94 tbird shows check engine, had code read by autozone for free. shows egr related problem.

if i just leave things alone, until i have the time and money, will this issue cause me a problem like the car dying or not starting?

in other words, what is the worse thing that could happen?

thanks.

************************************
and Improved...No More Sillyness
Reply to
DNC_TN

Fuel mileage will suffer, for openers. Generally, deferred maintenance (on anything) winds up costing way MORE than fixing the problem up front. EGR problems are usually something like being gummed up, a leaking gasket or vacuum line.

Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

did you look around the EGR valve and tube.. may be a relatively easy fix

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

pfe sensor looks something (but not exact) like this:

may have TWO small tube inputs to the EGR Piping/Int manifold, like the top component here:

EGR looks sommething like this:

Backyard Mechanic

Was the 94 year still using EEC-IV? What was the numeric code?

If the code is for insufficient exhaust entering the intake, then long term I don't think it affects the engine too much and you might be able to ignore it for a little while, unless you're due for an emissions test.

However, if it's the other way, too much exhaust gas entering the intake, then you can develop serious problems that will cost more to fix later. Rough idle, low gas mileage, etc.

Get the code and post it here. Some> 94 tbird shows check engine, had code read by autozone for free. shows

Reply to
sleepdog

The smog police will get you. But seriously, if your car is pinging(rattle noise from the engine) you could damage it.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

It has been doing that rattle/ping thing for about 6 month [before] this egr check engine light came on. Funny thing, yesterday in the middle of driving the light went OFF? And it has not come on since? uh?

Reply to
DNC_TN

Does bulb light up NOW when ignition key is turned to RUN? If not, bulb is burned out.

Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

yes it's on during the start, just like the airbag light, but during the running they're off now.... which is curious.

Reply to
DNC_TN

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 08:42:49 -0500, DNC_TN wrote:

It sounds like you may have at least two problems. I am assuming you have the 4.6L V8. If so, you probably have a bad DPFE sensor causing the fault light. If it was pinging for some time before, the EGR ports under the throttle body are probaly plugged which is a common problem on them. The cure(s) probably includes a new DPFE sensor and, removing the throttle body and cleaning the EGR ports. While you're are at it, make sure you give the throttle body a good cleaning. Remove the IAC from the throttle body and give it a good cleaning. This may involve soaking the valve end overnight in solvent to best remove the gum from it. You may as well clean the MAF while you are cleaning things since it is many times responsible for pinging and hesitations. While you have the cover off the engine, be sure to check closely and replace the hoses for the PVC valve asthe tend to crack as they get older causing vacuum leaks and idle problems. When you get done with all this, remove the negative battery cable for 15 or 20 minutes to reset the ECM. When you reconnect the battery, start tthe engine without touching a thing and let it idle 10 minutes or so to warm up. Again, without touching the throttle, move the gear selector amoung each position for several seconds each until the engine speed stabilizes. After this, take it out around town for a few miles of varied driving. The dog and pony stuff allows the ECM to relearn the engine operating parameters. It will take a few cold start and drive cycles for it to completely relearn the routine. You major cost will be the DPFE sensor and a couple of hours of your time.

BTW, if you do have the 4.6L, this would be an outstanding time to replace the plugs since they are easy to get while doing this.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

I would do exactly what Lugnut says except I wouldn't replace the DPFE "yet". It might not need it. If after those repairs and the light returned with that same EGR code then I would replace it. If you do what Lugnut says and add a fuel filter to the list your car will run like new.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

Wow man, thanks for the time and advice. I shall look into this..

Reply to
DNC_TN

This is all a bit overwhelming to me, but I will give it my best shot.

thanks all.

Reply to
DNC_TN