EGR problems 1999 Tauraus

I keep coding for P0401 insuff air flow., brought a cheap erg valve at AZone, if ERG is ok then how in the heck can I clean the Manifold to create a decent air flow.

Thank in advance.
You need to check that the control solenoid has vacuum to it and works. Make sure there is no exhaust leak in the EGR circuit, then check the sensor to make sure it operates correctly. The code means flow is low, not replace the valve. The code is part of a diagnostic tool, not a change part code.

Ditto what Thomas said! Wonder what would happen if you started the car with the egr valve disconnected from the tube to exh manifold?
If there doesnt seem to be much exhaust thru there, wonder what would happen if you looked for a long shank wire brush of approp diameter at a hardware store and used it to clean out the tube passage? And then started it again with a paper towel over the end to avoid having crap blown all over you..
I just ask because I havent done it.
Thomas Moats opined in

Thanks Guys, But what do you mean ERG circuit? and how do I test Sensor/Selinod Also. Trying to avoid the Mechnic
Again thanks. On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 09:59:32 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (cathr) wrote:

cathr opined in

"Make sure there is no exhaust leak in the EGR circuit, "
The "circuit" is the path for exhaust gases into the manifold.
Just clean it as stated above, see if it makes a difference.
As to testing it... maybe there's a reference to be found by googling this group
(cathr) wrote:

circuit work to make the EGR do as it is suppose to, you are on the same level as a parts replacing rip off artist. I do not say that to push buttons or "flame you", but I tend to call a spade a spade and never sugar coat it. But I assume that is why you do not want to take it to a mechanic, you feel you would just be ripped off. The only difference here is that you will not pay labor, just pay for replacing parts that are not the cause.
Thanks again i think.On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 17:15:49 -0400, "Thomas Moats"

Sorry; bitter pill, but the truth.
(cathr) wrote:

the DPFE (differential pressure feedback sensor) sensor is the problem with any EGR code on a Ford about 90% of the time. But in the long haul you will be dollars ahead at a reputable shop if you are just throwing parts at it without some troubleshooting.
(cathr) wrote:

Yep! thanks.
On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 20:04:04 -0500, "coryrhonda"