EGR valve question

What's an EGR valve and how would a "bad" one effect my Crown Vic's performance? I've been told they are notorious for going "bad" on this particular vehicle ('89 5.0) Thanks! Great group for helping each other out! Bob/Orlando

Reply to
Bob Manly

EGR stands for Exhaust gas relief valve... its all the emissions crap.

I dont know exactly what it does... but a bad one will cause a car to run crappy.. my fathers 1991 E250 van had one go bad and it ran horrible until he got it replaced.

Reply to
Ken Gallo Jr

Reply to
Thomas Moats

temperatures

.................. in simple laymans terms a percentage of the fumes flowing through the exhaust are "recirculated" back into the engine to be burnt again, this helps the ozone layer by reducing the HC's and CO levels your engine produces. this is done via the "EGR" valve located between the exhaust system and the inlet manifold. not quite sure about "lowering the combustion temperature". Introducing hot exhaust gas back into the engine will increase temperature, however indeed if faulty it may be either stuck in the open position which will cause a few idling problems, or may be stuck closed in which case you may not notice any problems at all.

Reply to
steve

EGR is not for HC's and CO's, It's for NOX.

By introducing exhaust, an inert gas you know have a diluted fuel/air mixture. You also change the mass of the air/fuel mixture. This changes the peak temperature the combustion process can achieve. There is quite a lot of science behind the reason for EGR. I would suggest before you post again, you have a better understanding of what you are talking about.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

=========================== Nope, not for lowering CO and HC, its for lowering NOX(oxides of nitrogen). Yes re-introducing exaust into the engine lowers the cumbustion temp, thats what lowers NOX.

Reply to
Scott M

I replaced a few on my '84 T-Bird with the 5.0L. They would carbon up and, after a while, any little grain of crud flying by would stick, causing the valve not to close properly. Highway was fine, for example, but when I'd exit and stop at the light, the thing would chug and churn, usually dying.

Sometimes it would clear itself but I got good at revving the engine while using an extra hose to pull vacuum and open the valve so the crud would go on thru...

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

Is there an easy way to test if an EGR is fuctionning properly?

Thanks

Matt

Reply to
Admin

If you don't get any codes, the EGR is probably OK. Perform KOER ('Key On Engine Running' diagnostic test) if you want a positive confirmation.

Reply to
Happy Traveler