Electric window problem

Could anyone help me, i have a UK ford escort 1.8 si 1996. i have a problem with my drivers side window. I pressed the button for it to down but now its stuck there. when i press the up button nothing
happens. i`ve tried swapping the switches around but nothing happens. could anyone help me please as i can`t lock my car as the alarm will go off.
remove the door trim , unplug the regulater and using a test light probe the wiring going onto it live on the up signal , now probe the other, live on the down signal(thats wot it should be) this means that the wiring is ok. so its time to change that window regulater