Emer Brake on 98 Ford Escort

I just had my brakes done at Midas. The emergency brake is not holding now. In fact, it doesn't start to grab until its half way up. They told me there
is no adjustment for this, that I need to go to Ford and have the brake cables changed. Can anyone tell me if this is true, or can they be adjusted?
John
Not sure about the 98 escort but on a 95 they can be adjusted. The adjustment procedure( taken from the ford service manual) is as follows: 1. Start the engine and move the gearshift lever into the reverse position.2. with the vehicle moving in reverse depress and release the brake pedal several times.3. Move the gearshift into park or neutral and stop the engine.4. turn the adjusting nut until the parking brake lever stroke is five to seven notches when pulled with a force of 22 lbs.... The adjusting nut is on the lever end of the cable.The parking brake console has to be removed to access it.If yours is not working at all it is a safety hazard and midas should fix it....Go into your nearest ford dealership and ask them if it is adjustable..Good luck. John Perry wrote:

You were right on the money. Thanks- John

Most likely the rear shoes are too loose, out of adjustment. They must have not tightened them up after the brake job. If the parking brake worked before the brake job, they should tighten them for free. You should not have to tighten the cable....You might want to find someone else to do your brakes next time too...;)