End of an era - Holley files for bankruptcy

The subject says it all...

Reply to
Steven Stone

Bankruptcy does not mean they're going out of business. They are reorganizing. I am not sure for whom they are reorganizing. Thanks to better technology, carbs are no longer used in new cars and trucks.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Well, this might give nascar food for thought about getting out of the dark ages and go to fuel injection.

I predict some scavenger group will buy holly for pennies on the dollar and move all production to china or such.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

There are other companies that make carbs.

jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Are carbs all they made? You'd think they would have gotten into fuel injection stuff.

And what about small engines like on mowers and 2 cycle engines. Didn't they make some for those engines? As far as I know all of them still use carbs. (or did they change that lately too?).

Reply to
Forddriver

Carbs were/are not their only product. That is where they started. These days, they produce and sell a wide range of aftermarket maintenance replacement and performance automotive components and equipment. They are also a major OEM supplier to the manufacturers. And, yes, they do make fuel injection equipment. The carburetor line alone would have supported only a relatively small maunfacturer for several years now. I suspect the ties to the OEM side is greatly responsible for their current problems.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

The vast majority of small engines made today have carbs. However, some do have fuel injection. Small engines today are responsible for a lot of the air pollution, like unburned hydrocarbons. Fuel injectors will help decrease this problem.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I did a bad job of editing. lugnut did not write this. My bad.

Reply to
Jeff

Reply to
Chuck

Personally, I wont complain at all about changing the 2 cycle engines to 4 cycle. Mixing gas and oil has always been a pain, and worse yet, I have never owned any 2 cycle engine that does not need to be repaired at least every 6 months. In fact I got so tired of fighting with 2 cycle chain saws that I bought an electric one. I'd rather run extension cords, than fight to start a 2 cycle engine. It seems that if a person uses their chainsaw daily they work better, but for me, it's something I use a few times a year, and even if I drain the gas, they just dont want to start.

Most of the carbs I find on small engines are Walbro. I suppose thats an import. I am almost sure I have seen Holley carbs on at least a few small engines.

F.D.

Reply to
Forddriver

Mack used to make some good 2-cycle diesel engines.

They were, however, too heavy for chainsaws.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

That would have been the DDA division of GM - Not Mack

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut