Engine dies momentarily, when driving?

I have a 1987 E-250 with a 302 that runs great .... or at least it did until recently. I will be driving along and it acts like someone reached over, turned the key off and then back on a few seconds later. I doubt if it's the fuel filter, since it doesn't matter if there is a demand on the engine or not. I can charge up a grade at WOT and no problem. I can then be just cruising along on level ground at 50 or 60 and it just does it. It has come back on, each time, after a few seconds. Does this sound like it could be a bad TPS? Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Reply to
Forrest

recently. I will be driving along and it acts like

I doubt if it's the fuel filter, since it doesn't

WOT and no problem. I can then be just cruising along

time, after a few seconds. Does this sound like it could

Could be an intermittent electrical problem.

Reply to
Shawn

"Forrest" wrote: 1987 E-250 302 CI

When driving, the engine will suddenly quit for a few seconds then begin running again, as if the key had been turned off and on. It happens both at constant speed or under acceleration. Does this sound like it could be a bad TPS? __________________________________________

Most likely failing ignition module.

Other possible (low voltage ignition system) problems: bad/mismounted ignition switch, loose/broken wire, bad connector, corroded connection terminals.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

Had an 89 CV, 351W that did the same thing. Turned out to be a corroded electrical connector on top of the left front wheel well.

Reply to
Tim J.

i had a 93 marquis that did that ... plugs & wires.

it was dying out on turns... but i think it was just when the rpm went low, and then increased again

Reply to
Picasso