Engine doesn't crank (total silence)

I have a 2000 Ford Ranger (stick shift) that failed to start twice last weekend. I turn the key and nothing happens. All dash lights look normal. I pushed the clutch in and out a few times and also switched the key on and off and eventually it started after several attempts. It seems to start reliably at home in cool conditions. Both failures occured after the truck had been sitting in the sun for several hours. Maybe a temperature problem. I have been advised the problem is probably not the starter or solenoid since I don't hear the click of the solenoid, just total silence. There is also a security (Clifford) device installed by the dealer that prevents the engine from starting if activated. I never use it and leave it in the deactivated condition (steady red light). When activated with a key, the light blinks until the key is inserted. Anyway, I imagine this could be a source of the problem. So. apparently the problem involves either the ignition switch, the clutch switch or the security system. If you were to guess which to replace first, would it be the clutch switch?

I understand I can push-start the truck in second gear, but never done that. So, maybe I should wait until the truck will not start at all and then push start it to get it home? Another idea is to wait until conditions cool off a bit to see if the problem is temperature related.

How would you approach this problem?

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

How many miles (and starts) are on this truck? An intermittent no crank, with no click, is MOST likely to be one of 2 things - a bad starteror solenoid, or a bad clutch safety switch. If you can bypass the clutch switch you can eliminate it as the cause.

If when it won't start you can get someone under the truck to tap on the starter, you can often get it to crank if it is a starter problem, like sticky or worn brushes.

Bypass the switch before throwing money at it.

Reply to
clare

Good idea. The truck ran well this morning in cool conditions. Then I let it sit in the sun until 2PM and it failed to start in warmer conditions. When it failed, I left the key turned, and just released and repressed the clutch once and it started. Seems the clutch switch is the problem. I might try it a few more times to be sure. The truck has 152K miles and was used for pickup/delivery for 6 years, so it has many starts. I have service done at a Good Year Tires place, but I doubt they will bypass the switch for safety reasons.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

99.999% you have found the problem. Those switches are known to be problematic - and being a local delivery vehicle the switch has been excersised a LOT over those 6 years - both under load (starting) and with no load (shifting) The contacts arc and get scabby, and loose spring tension. My '96 Ranger has been running with the switch bypassed for years. (was bypassed when I bought it with 300,000km on it)
Reply to
clare

It's probably the switch but... My explorer started to not have the brake lights go on when I used the brakes. I fiddled with the brake light switch and that fixed it for a couple days. Then the problem returned. Bought a new switch and installed it. That fixed it for a week or so. Turned out that the problem was a break in the wire just inside the connector body that plugged into the switch. Possibly it was overcrmped at the factory and only lasted the 20 years before fatiguing.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher