Engine flooding

Can anyone please help me with a problem with my car Ford Escort 1.6LX Zetec

16v P reg (1997), when started it seems to flood with petrol and a smell of petrol out of the exhaust pipe. By removing the spark plugs they also smell of petrol and are damp.

Once cleaned the engine will start for a few minutes only then the problem remains. Someone told me there is too much fuel coming into the carb and flooding everything, please could anyone give me advise on what the problem might be.

Many thanks

Reply to
Stephen Voce

It could be a leaky, or stuck float valve. The float itself could be sticking on it's pivot, or rarely on a car that new, a leaking float.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

Oh my....

Stephen, you likely either have a bad Fuel Pressure Regulator or a bad Engine Coolant Temp sensor (or wires off it).

If it starts okay, cold, without foot on the pedal, I would think the FPR; If you have to floor the pedal to start it, I think the ECT.

I cant help you with locations of those on that engine but I suggest you invest in an aftermarket manual, at the least.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

========= =========

yeah......them Holley 4-bangers is well known for doing that on Escorts.

~:~ MarshMonster ~sips his crownroyal......mmmm.......good stuff~

Reply to
Reefer

========= ========= might be......?? . Sticking, leaking, or otherwise bad injector. Coolant temp sensor or circuit. Engine controller. . . I don't think it's the fuel pres. regulator, usually you have the opposite problem with a bad diaphram on a regulator.....namely, lack of fuel pressure. .

any whoooo..... that's some things it might be.

I would hook up a fuel pres. gauge and check to see if the pres. is dropping, or how fast it's dropping, after you shut the engine down. That'll give you some idea if the injectors are leaking down, or if you should go looking in another direction.

let us know..

Reply to
Reefer

You mean they aren't using Dual Solex Side Draft Carb's anymore ?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Kitterman

Apparently, Stephen has a European Escort with the 1.6LX. They sold many models with the engine there in 1997. He's posting on the American newsgroups for information about equipment we are not using. He won't tell us exactly what he has. He can't find an automatic choke. If he does have a carb, then a stuck float could be one problem. Other electronic controls could be the problem as well. Stephen just wants an answer. He doesn't want to give up any information.He won't check the Escort Owner's site. He doesn't think of removing his carburetor to check it. He doesn't apparently have a manual either. All he beings to the table is a knive and a fork. Well, get lost Stephen.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Admittedly, I have little experience with late model cars, but he did say his had a carb! Over the last 45 years I have done all of the repairs to my own cars, except for crankshaft grinding, and reboring ( no suitable machines). Only three have been Fords though. I was also a Harley mechanic for 4 years.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

I'll guess vac to or bad MAP (if it has one)

~wondering why Marsh isn't sipping Single Barrel Jack~ ahh nm, he prolly switches between the two.....

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

No he didnt. Read it again.

Perhaps I might have poked fun at your reading comprehension... but I wouldnt do that... because I've made the occasional foof too

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

========= =========

BM.......... as Benny Franklin once said.......

Experience is a hard school to learn in, but only fools will learn in no other.

~:~ marsh ~class A fool~

Reply to
Reefer

OK, I must have missed something there. It happens!

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

======= ======= Steve R. wrote:

OK, I must have missed something there. It happens!

Steve R.

Yes it does.

yer fogiven.

don't let it happen again.

or else.

and........ get back to work, you're holding up production.

~:~ marsh ~mix's steve a crown'n'coke~

Reply to
Reefer