Engine for 65 Comet

Hello

I just picked up a '65 Mercury Comet. It has a six banger, but I would like to replace it with a high performance engine. I don't know much about Ford products. Wich engine is most suited for this car? I would like to use something that is popular and parts are plentiful. Should I get a 289, 351C ,351W ,390 or what? Also need help with tranny (4 speed manual). Wich would bolt up best to these engines. Any constructive help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
Juan Hang Lo

A 289 would be the right engine for a 65. You might get something bigger in there if you hammer out the shock towers and cut out the firewall

Reply to
Steve Stone

the 65 comet used the same engine, transmission and rear end as the mustang that came with the 6 cyl. engines.. i have see some mustangs with the 140 cu.in engine and others with the 200 cu. in engines, both were 6 cyl.. so if you get a v-8 from an early ford, mustang probably go and get the 4 speed trans, and the drive shaft and rear end to go along with it...

Reply to
jim

I've got a '72 Comet with a 302 V-8, w/a 3-speed C-4 behind it,

You might be able to get a 351W in there, if you cut into the shock towers, but changing plugs might be a hassle...

-LMB

Reply to
Louis M. Brown

use either a 289 or 302.. the others are a real pain to fit in, and the

352,390,428,460 will not fit without magor modification.another idea is to hop up a 200 or 250 6 cylinder.
Reply to
Falcoon

I think a 289 would be just right. A 302 could work. I'd stick with the engine block that was actually sold in that car. It makes things soooooooo much easier when you can find junkyard comets that used the same engine. makes it easy to find mounts, brackets, etc... I'd bet the vast majority of comets ran 6 bangers though...I think the

200 was about standard fare in 65. There may not be a whole lot of junked comets with V8's. But at least you can probably order the parts. Like one said, many mustang parts will work. Same for falcons. They all used about the same basic chassis. If it were me, I'd plonk a 289 in it if I wanted a V8. It might be best to buy a beater 289/302 and rebuild it. That way you have all the pans, parts, etc...

There are many things to consider all the way down to the number of teeth on starters/flywheels. "auto vs manual" I would not rush into it without a lot of planning. Talk to a bunch of "old fart" junkyard owners. They are pretty savvy on what will fit, and what won't. When my 300 six in my truck went kaput, I just went with another rebuilt

300 just to avoid the PIA of having to hunt all the parts down to swap to a V8. I don't really mind a six too much. Sure saved a lot of aggravation doing a swap..:/ I didn't really want to keep the truck out of action very long. MK
Reply to
Mark Keith

Hello-- I would have to agree with MK, and stick with what was in the vehicle or at the very least, got to a

302. They are a solid eng>> Hello
Reply to
Past Master Erik

jim wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@noname.com:

I'd put a 351 WINDSOR and C-4 automatic in it. I did the same conversion on my 64 Mustang (was a 260 c-4) A Cleveland is too wide as are the other V-

8's. Look hard in the bone yards for a 67 Mustang and up 9inch rear end. The front suspension will need to be upgraded, use Monarch/Granada or Comet/Maverick disk brake set-up. If the 351 is too small, you can bore and stroke it to 421 cubes with a 400 modified crank and small block chevy rods but now were talking more money. A late model Mustang has the wrong oilpan for your chassis. If your heart is set on a manual trans, you'll have to fab up most of the linkage and find a top loader for a small block (and it'll have to be for a comet/falcon/fairlane due to the shifter location. A Muastang's shifter is to far back on the trans) The windsor bell housing uses, I think, an 163 tooth flywheel compared to a 157 for the 289/302 so it's a tad bigger. There's some info for ya
Reply to
Jax LeBoite

Thanks for the input. I found couple of engines (289) and trans (t10) for sale.

Peter

Reply to
Juan Hang Lo