Engine hard starting

Before I take it to the mechanic, I wonder if you fellers might have some ideas what these symptoms might be caused by. My guess is it's heat-related because it starts fine when cold.

When up to running temperature, solenoid activates but engine barely turns over. If I wait 5 minutes, it cranks fine. I have noticed that when cold, it turns over slower than before.

Battery is less than 6 months old. Checking voltages before during and after cranking cold or hot, I don't see anything obvious...

Measuring at the batter posts, it's 13V when off, drops down to 10-11V when cranking cold or hot, 14-15V when running.

After failing to crank hot a few times, battery still 13V when off. Also drops to same 10-11V range while trying to crank.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

I had a similar problem. You may need new battery cables or the cable from the solenoid on the fender to the starter or one of the other "battery cable" sections between "something" and the starter. Could even be the ground cable but more likely its in the positive cable(s) OR you simply have a bad starter.

IAC, you need to measure the voltage AT the big starter terminal ON the starter. Put one of your voltmeter leads to that lug and the other lead at the negative battery terminal and see what voltage you get when cranking. Doing it like you did with both probes at the battery won't tell you if the cable to the starter is bad.

Like I said, I just went thru this and replaced the starter cuz at the battery the voltage only dropped to 9 volts. When the new starter didn't fix it I measured AT the starter lug and got something like 5 volts. Then I found a bad crimp at the end of the positive cable near the battery. Fixed that connection and no more problems.

Reply to
>>>Ashton Crusher

Most likely situation is a dragging starter. My aerostars and my Ranger never pull the voltage that low on cranking with a good battery. Of course there is always the possibility of a bad new battery. What make and mosel? Try a boost when it is hard starting to see what THAT does.

Reply to
clare

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com... Before I take it to the mechanic, I wonder if you fellers might have some ideas what these symptoms might be caused by. My guess is it's heat-related because it starts fine when cold.