Engine light on, bad fuel smell on 96 Mercury Villager

Hi,

I've had this 96 Mercury Villager GS (Nissan Quest clone) for over a year, no problems until now. Just a bit under 100k miles, I started smelling gas pretty strongly (during running, tank is not full) a couple days ago then today CHECK ENGINE light came on. Went to AutoZone, read 2 error codes, P0325 (knock sensor) and P0135 (oxygen sensor). Anyone has any idea if the 2 (fuel smell and CEL) are related, what's the cause/what it would take to fix them? Just replacing the sensors (pricey specially for the knock sensor) or this might just be symptoms of a different problem, if so what?

TIA

Reply to
sorint

sxterra06

TIA The failed O2 sensor would definitely cause the fuel smell. Is it unburned fuel from the exhaust or is it a fuel leak outside the engine? If the O2 sensor has never been changed 100k is about right for replacement. I would do the O2 sensor first and see if it clears the codes. Also I would not drive it because if the engine is running rich it will damage the catalytic converter. The converter will overheat and melt internally. Sparky

Reply to
Steve Parker