engine misses

I have a '94 Ford Ranger pickup. It has only 62000 miles on as I ride my bike a lot. It has been a good runner until recently when one day I started it and the engine ran as rough as if one cylinder was
missing. Out on the street it smoothies out a little but lacks power. Since its drivable Im trying to troubleshoot it myself. It has the 2.3 L 4 cyl. Engine with distributorless ignition. Im thinking that the probability is that the problem is not the ignition because of the relatively low mileage, the two ignition modules and two plugs per cylinder. Does this make sense? My guess is a clogged fuel injector. I put in a bottle of Gumout fuel injector cleaner and have driven it about 40 miles with no results. How long does it usually take injector cleaner to work? is it possible to use a scanner on it? i don't see anything about that in Chilton's. Any other ideas? Engineman
[...]
I had one.
Get a $40 code reader or have Autozone pull your codes. Post results here.
At that mileage, my 93 was still running original plugs, wires, everything.
On Fri, 30 May 2008 11:00:04 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

I would suspect the ignition. Fuel injector cleaner generally works pretty quickly if it works at all.
[...]
Sounds like you have a similar engine to my 91 Stang (also a 2.3L 4 Cyl 8 plugs).
I have had 3 problems over the years that have resulted in what felt like a misfire.
1) Blew the gasket between 2 cylinders
2) One of the ignition modules malfunctioned (this one cost me quite a bit in diagnostic labour - and it was a ford dealer to boot).
3) Problem with a connection to one of the coil packs
It really has been a good engine throw in a few other minor repairs (frost plug, etc) and it still runs as good as the day I bought it 300,500 km ago
Do you have a tack and does it behave any different then before the problem?