engine out gearbox linkage

Hi
I have an engine to take out of a older fiesta (MK2) I'm wondering how the linkages for the gearbox are aligned when the engines put back in? I've done one or two about 10 years ago and I remember it was a fiddle about
to get gears afterwards. Just wondering how ford garages would do this, maybe there's a special technique.
Bill
since the linkage is simply one tube inside another and tightened with a clamp it is easy to get it slightly out when reassembling, mark the rods where the joint is with white paint or simmilar to make sure they go back in the same position.