error code lean bank 172

i have a aerostar 1993 200 000 Km on it and at certain times i have hesitation but not if i kick down , so i whent to the dealer and they told me i had an code 172 on the left bank , so it is suppose to be to much air
comming in on the left side of the air intake ,
so my question is it easy to change the intake seal or gasket , can i do it my self , and if you have any good cue's to help me please do .
and is the diagnostic of ford the right one , did some of you had that code and what was the problem , if you have any other suggestion ,feel free to let me know
could you send a copy to my e-mail at the same time of your answer to this group , i dont always have acces to newsgroup thank's in advance for all your help
pat snipped-for-privacy@hybride.com
I found this article to be very informative with my 171/174 errors. Read through carefully, there is a section on your 172 error.
http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/TSB0197HO2SServiceTips.htm
-JCM900

Suggest you try to locate the leak first, disconnect the ISC and use an unlit propane torch around all seams and ports.
Patrice Barrette opined in

When am I gonna learn to not post without my own research..
They double-talked you, or they are stupid!
On two different sites, -look at that link from JCM- this is described as a "rich" condition.
The confusion is caused by the term "limits of lean-shift"... which means the suystem is adjusting lean to the limits of its ability and still sees overly rich.
So there's no air leak... it's either leaky injector or too much oil getting through.
I hate to say it but you'd better read the plugs.
Hmmm about that PCV
Backyard Mechanic opined in

"Backyard Mechanic" wrote

I'll give you one more try. :)

*IF* it was an OBD-2 system, then okay: P0172 - System Too Rich (Bank 1)
*BUT*, it's should still be an OBD-1 (EEC IV)......

For those, all my sources say : 172 (R,M) Oxygen sensor not switching - system is or was lean - Single, Right or Rear HO2S

Of course, 172 seems to be for right bank, not left.
Curiouser and curiouser.
Oh, welll.....
i should'a known that. Dont do this when you're tired kids!
But this is a little perplexing..... suggest Patrice; go to another source to get a second readout
Though the driveability symptom does suggest lean.
could disconnect the ISC connector and use the unlit propane torch test to see if idle speed changes, kinda hard in those cramped quarters.
MasterBlaster opined in

http://www.obd-codes.com is a good site for trouble code help.

I would suggest cleaning the MAF sensor, a dirty sensing element won't accurately measure the air rushing by it and cause the system to run lean.

thank for all your answer , i have clean the air sensor with brake cleaner and the trouble is still there,and the code readear at ford was an OBD -1 , and on the sheet of ford it say's 172 lean left bank , so i'll call them to verify the code
how do i test for a leaky injector
where is the ICS connector and how does it look like
thank's again and i'll keep you posted on the result
pat snipped-for-privacy@hybride.com