Escape - Air Conditioner

I have a 2003 Escape. It has a "feature" according to Ford of partially

shutting off the air conditioning when going up a steep hill or when the

ambient temperature is too low. It seems to me that if the ambient

temperature is below about 75 in the shade (even if I'm in the sun), the AC

doesn't cool.

I'm sick of this ambient temperature aspect. (The steep grade thing really

isn't too bad and I do understand the purpose). The Ford dealer says its a

"feature" and that they cannot do anything.

Anybody know of a way to adjust or bypass the ambient temperature issue?

Reply to
Fred Harper

I'd suspect that you have lost some refrigerant. AFAIK, the only thing that

would shut off the A/C is the low pressure switch. Of course, the lower the

temperature, the lower the pressure, and the switch cuts off the compressor

to keep from damaging it.

If you lose refrigerant, you have low pressure, too, but not from low

temperatures, only from low volume of refrigerant.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

I agree with CJB- I think you may have a low charge. I have a 2002 Escape,

and the manual says the AC will work in all modes (AC or defrost) as long as

the outside air is 43 degrees F. or more.

Good luck!

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom
[This followup was posted to alt.autos.ford and a copy was sent to the

cited author.]

Typically, it should only be shut off in temps below about 40-45F, or

near-full to full-throttle conditions. If it's not cooling during more

normal use, then either there is a low refrigerent problem, temperature

blend door issue, dirty cabin air filter (if it has one), plugged up

evaporator (what cools the air in the car), or condenser (in front of

the radiator.)

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Fred,

Your A/C not working at 75 degrees is a fault, not a

feature. The PCM shuts off the compressor when the load on

the engine is high (like going up a steep hill). The low

side pressure switch cuts off the compressor when the

ambient temperature is low - but 75 F is not "low" in this

application. Most likely you have a low refrigerant (Suva)

charge. When the A/C is properly charged you can't bypass

the ambient low ambient temperature "feature." It is the

nature of the refrigerant used that the AC won't be

effective at low temperatures. But 75 degrees is not low.

Fred Harper wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

Most definitely not what the dealer says (and I checked with an

independent too). I'll get the charge checked.

Thanks,

Fred

SC Tom wrote:

Reply to