Escape - Air Conditioner

I have a 2003 Escape. It has a "feature" according to Ford of partially shutting off the air conditioning when going up a steep hill or when the
ambient temperature is too low. It seems to me that if the ambient temperature is below about 75 in the shade (even if I'm in the sun), the AC doesn't cool.
I'm sick of this ambient temperature aspect. (The steep grade thing really isn't too bad and I do understand the purpose). The Ford dealer says its a "feature" and that they cannot do anything.
Anybody know of a way to adjust or bypass the ambient temperature issue?
I'd suspect that you have lost some refrigerant. AFAIK, the only thing that would shut off the A/C is the low pressure switch. Of course, the lower the temperature, the lower the pressure, and the switch cuts off the compressor to keep from damaging it.
If you lose refrigerant, you have low pressure, too, but not from low temperatures, only from low volume of refrigerant.
CJB

I agree with CJB- I think you may have a low charge. I have a 2002 Escape, and the manual says the AC will work in all modes (AC or defrost) as long as the outside air is 43 degrees F. or more. Good luck! SC Tom

Most definitely not what the dealer says (and I checked with an independent too). I'll get the charge checked.
Thanks,
Fred
SC Tom wrote:

says...

Typically, it should only be shut off in temps below about 40-45F, or near-full to full-throttle conditions. If it's not cooling during more normal use, then either there is a low refrigerent problem, temperature blend door issue, dirty cabin air filter (if it has one), plugged up evaporator (what cools the air in the car), or condenser (in front of the radiator.)
Fred,
Your A/C not working at 75 degrees is a fault, not a feature. The PCM shuts off the compressor when the load on the engine is high (like going up a steep hill). The low side pressure switch cuts off the compressor when the ambient temperature is low - but 75 F is not "low" in this application. Most likely you have a low refrigerant (Suva) charge. When the A/C is properly charged you can't bypass the ambient low ambient temperature "feature." It is the nature of the refrigerant used that the AC won't be effective at low temperatures. But 75 degrees is not low.