Escape Cladding Removal

Backing into a tree stump with the door slightly open, I bent the lower rear edge [the thin, flat part] of the driver's door enough to pop the cladding
off 2 clips. The door closes fine but the lower rear edge is pushed out about 2 inches. A body shop wants to replace the entire door! Seems excessive. Before I give in, I want to try a little metal work myself. This would be easier if I removed the entire plastic panel. My service manual has a diagram and says the clips are one time use but the instructions simply say "remove." Looks to me as if the clips are attached first to the door and then the cladding is slid up onto clips. I assume removal might be somewhat the reverse, press in and pulling/tapping down. I tried, gently, and got no where. Getting all 10 clips position right simulateously doesn't sound easy. Especially if I have the wrong idea here. Has anyone done this themselves for guidance? Thank you.
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.