Escape transmission problems

I have a 2002 XLT 4WD Escape with 28,500 miles. The transmission just went out on it. I have been doing some reading and it seems like these vehicles have a high rate of tranny failure. Has anybody else had tran problems on an Escape?

Previously, I started experiencing a tran shudder at around 18,000 miles. The dealer did a PCM flash and a fluid flush and replace. Problem went away and had just started to come back at around 27,000 when the whole thing went to pot. I like the vehicle otherwise but have serious reservations about its transmission.

Thanks

Hal

Reply to
Iglou

I do not know what you read of where you read it but in our business we certainly do not see any extraordinary problems with the tranny in the Escape or Mazda twin. Not to worry, things brake on occasion. Your warranty will fix it for free.

mike hunt

Igloo wrote:

Reply to
DustyRhoades

The shudder is a well-known, oft documented problem.

has over 180 threads from people who have experienced this problem and what they did or had done about it. You might check there for some good reading about it. I have an '02 XLT FWD with 20,000 on it and, knock on wood, I haven't had any problems with the SUV at all. SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

Following up. It ended up being the front differential so I guess not so bad. Covered under warranty. One disturbing thing though is the dealer tells me that both front rotors are warped and need to be replaced. At 28,500 miles? I asked how that could be and was told "They must have gotten hot." I live in a fairly flat area with no steep hills to come down and don't ride with my foot on the brake. Just normal driving so I don't see how they could have gotten extraordinarily overheated. I am very disappointed in the quality of this vehicle. I like driving it and live in a Ford town (they make Explorers nearby so Ford is popular here), but I am getting tired of taking it to the dealer with problems. Fixed Or Repaired Daily is sure turning out to be the case here. It's a shame.

Reply to
Iglou

How about Explorer owners who wear out rotors before pads? Weird.

Reply to
Raider Rick