Escort 1.4 sefi 1997 exaust emissions.

My escort went for its bi-annual mandatory car test today but unfortunately has failed on the Exaust Emisions. Low idle CO 4.5% (max limit 0.5%) High idle CO 10.15% (max limit 0.3%) Lambda 0.731 (limit 0.95 to 1.09) HC 368 ppm (max limit 200 ppm)

The car has had a new timing belt,plugs,air filter replaced lately & drives ok. It has 92000 miles & uses no oil.Everything looks ok(as far as the eye can see) under the bonnet. The exaust system dosent leak. Any suggestions

Reply to
Joe B

unfortunately

=================================== The car is running VERY rich, could be O2 sensor or fuel pressure regulator. There are other possibilities....What is lambda? where do you live?

Reply to
Scott M

Ireland. I think lamdba has something to do with the mixture I found this info about lambda "The HEGO sensor is a voltage generator which is installed upstream from the catalytic converter. When the air/fuel ratio is perfect (theoretically

Reply to
Joe B

Ah ok, lambda of 1 must be a perfect air/fuel ratio. Never heard that term before here in the US. There is stiecometric or something like that, a term for the same thing apairently. Anywho, looks like you need some repairs, that car is running way too rich. If the car runs well and heats up to normal operating temp, my first guess would be O2 sensor. It would be easy to spot with a scan tool....GL

Reply to
Scott M

Reply to
Joe B