Escort 1.4 sefi 1997 exaust emissions.

My escort went for its bi-annual mandatory car test today but unfortunately has failed on the Exaust Emisions. Low idle CO 4.5% (max limit 0.5%) High idle CO 10.15% (max limit 0.3%)
Lambda 0.731 (limit 0.95 to 1.09) HC 368 ppm (max limit 200 ppm)
The car has had a new timing belt,plugs,air filter replaced lately & drives ok. It has 92000 miles & uses no oil.Everything looks ok(as far as the eye can see) under the bonnet. The exaust system dosent leak. Any suggestions

There are other possibilities....What is lambda? where do you live?
Ireland. I think lamdba has something to do with the mixture I found this info about lambda "The HEGO sensor is a voltage generator which is installed upstream from the catalytic converter. When the air/fuel ratio is perfect (theoretically 14.7:1) or Lambda 1, a voltage signal of 450 mV is sent to the powertrain control module. When the mixture is lean, the voltage is reduced to 200 mV and the powertrain control module sets the air/fuel mixture towards rich. When the mixture is rich, the voltage signal is increased to 800m V and the powertrain control module sets the air/fuel mixture to lean. This provides control of exhaust emissions. To ensure the heated oxygen sensor quickly reaches its operating temperature of 300 C, it is equipped with a heating element which operates when the ignition is switched on. The HEGO voltage should switch constantly between .2 volts and .9 volts in a steady pattern." http://www.fixafordcar.co.uk / I think i will get a mechanic with a exaust analyiser to look a this.

Ah ok, lambda of 1 must be a perfect air/fuel ratio. Never heard that term before here in the US. There is stiecometric or something like that, a term for the same thing apairently. Anywho, looks like you need some repairs, that car is running way too rich. If the car runs well and heats up to normal operating temp, my first guess would be O2 sensor. It would be easy to spot with a scan tool....GL

Thanks for your help. I will let you know when I get this fixed what needed to be done. (may take a week or 2)

Got my car repaired at last. The problem was fatigued wiring going to the oxygen sensor .A simple wiring repair got this working.Unfortunately the constant fuel enrichment done irepairable damage to the Cat Converter & this had to be replaced & this was expensive.

Glad you got her fixed!